Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bostich

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I'm trying to find a solution for the following problem: I need to get a folder containing files and subfolders onto an iPad and edit the files offline using MS Word (or another app that can read doc files).

I tried using the Dropbox app, but unfortunately you can't sync entire folders. You can only sync single files and you will lose the folder structure. Plus, with MS Word you can't open the files that you made available offline in the Dropbox app. You can only access Dropbox online.

So I did some research and downloaded an app called Documents (by Readde) which is supposed to be a kind of library for all your files. Anyway it lets you sync entire Dropbox folders so that all its contents are available offline. But there seems to be no way of getting the files saved on my iPad into MS Word.

It's really frustrating that there is no common file system on the iPad that can be easily accessed by all apps. Does anyone have an idea how I could proceed?

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
The lack of replies are unbelievable... I think you can store your docx files onthe Pages app and create folders. It's also an offline app so no worries there.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
So I did some research and downloaded an app called Documents (by Readde) which is supposed to be a kind of library for all your files. Anyway it lets you sync entire Dropbox folders so that all its contents are available offline. But there seems to be no way of getting the files saved on my iPad into MS Word.

From Word, go to Open > More > Locations. And choose Documents. (If you don't see documents in this list, go to More here and turn Documents on)

This will let you open and edit any files that you've saved to the Documents app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.