Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

I understand that all iOS Games accounts are connected to their respective Apple ID. Is it possible at all to ask Apple to transfer the Games data from one account to another? (Given that I provide login data for both accounts, of course).

The reason why I'm asking is as follows:
In the past, whenever I visited my dad, I've been playing a game on his iPad (Star Wars Galaxy Of Heroes). Two months ago I have inherited my dad's iPad. I would now like to sync the iPad to my own Apple-ID but would like to keep the game achievements.

Or would it be better to contact the game producer (EA in this case), to transfer the data?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Its not possible. That type of information is linked to your AppleID via GameCenter. As soon as you change logins with GameCenter, it will revert to the previous information and if there was no previous game information, it will start completely over. I wanted two different Real Racing accounts, so I had to create a new AppleID with a new GameCenter tag for my second device.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
So how about a (theoretical) scenario like this:
One family member has an iPad with apps worth $200 on it. The person dies, and one of the children inherits that iPad. Wouldn't Apple be legally obliged to transfer the software to another Apple-ID?

I totally understand this is not possible with just a few mouse-clicks. How about an actual request to Apple (by e-mail or phone for example)?
I'd like to try. But I wouldn't even know what e-mail address to contact at Apple...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Apple IDs are generally not considered property. What you would inherit is the contract with Apple that entitles you to use the software (as a licensee) and use Apple’s services. That contract does not entitle you to transfer your purchases to another ID. Apple does not provide assistance to transfer purchases or data.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
One family member has an iPad with apps worth $200 on it. The person dies, and one of the children inherits that iPad. Wouldn't Apple be legally obliged to transfer the software to another Apple-ID?

I totally understand this is not possible with just a few mouse-clicks. How about an actual request to Apple (by e-mail or phone for example)?
I'd like to try. But I wouldn't even know what e-mail address to contact at Apple...

Transferring software, such as a backup and restoring is completely different than what you are asking for. If a relative died and you had their iCloud information, you could log into their iCloud account and restore their backup to your device. It would overwrite your information but it would work. What you are asking is transferring one AppleID and merging it with another. That is not possible. You cannot merge two accounts and make one massive account.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

no. No manufacturer or service provider is legally required to transfer anything. If your family wanted wanted you to have it, they would have given you their login credentials.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
no. No manufacturer or service provider is legally required to transfer anything. If your family wanted wanted you to have it, they would have given you their login credentials.

They DID give me their login credentials. And if iOS devices allowed for multiple users, I wouldn't even be asking. The problem, however is:

I have an iPad with $200 worth of software.
The other family member has an iPad with $200 worth of DIFFERENT software. That family member dies, and I would like to use that software on my iPad, under my account.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
They DID give me their login credentials. And if iOS devices allowed for multiple users, I wouldn't even be asking. The problem, however is:

The other family member has an iPad with $200 worth of DIFFERENT software. That family member dies, and I would like to use that software on my iPad, under my account.
Well there is no legal obligation for Apple to do anything, so that door is closed. Workaround- if you have the login creds of the other account, just use that to download the apps or music. even though Ios doesn't support multiple account simultaneously, there's no restriction on having content from multiple accounts on a single device. you just have the inconvenience of switching between accounts for downloading/updating.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011

In that case, use family sharing for the $200 worth of apps. Everyone gets access to everyone's apps.
No go on the save data though.

Reactions: bhodinut

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

You are asking two completely different things. At first you wanted your game data, now you just want access to the apps? The latter is possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.