Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertomactic

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Santa Ana
Hello,

I recently purchased an some old iPod's from a local thrift store and the iPod is fully functioning. It still has music installed is there a way to transfer the music from this iPod to my current PC computer which already has iTunes. Correct me if I am wrong but wont need to buy a Software that will allow me do transfer the music?? And If this is true does anyone know the name of any good ones.

Thanks

bertmac

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
As far as I know it‘s just a one way transfer. Either from iTunes or from the cloud.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There is no free app on the market to transfer music from iPhone to Mac or PC afaik. iMazing is good, so does nPlayer on iOS.

Reactions: mikzn

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iMazing does have a trial version I believe (I have the paid version so have not tested the trial version lately)
Trial version afaik won’t allow people transferring music from iPhone back to PC. But it’s file manager can sort of copy iTunes library via file system access. That part of the feature seems to be free. iExplorer can also do that.

Reactions: mikzn

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
I think your best bet would be iTunes, and transfer your music using that. Please reply with your thoughts

Serge88

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
It's been a long time but if I can remember, it goes like this: Make sure you can see hidden folder, plug the iPod, navigate through the folder, when you see files with extension mp3 or m4a, select all, copy and paste.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hello,

I recently purchased an some old iPod's from a local thrift store and the iPod is fully functioning. It still has music installed is there a way to transfer the music from this iPod to my current PC computer which already has iTunes. Correct me if I am wrong but wont need to buy a Software that will allow me do transfer the music?? And If this is true does anyone know the name of any good ones.

Thanks

bertmac
What kind of iPod? You did not specify. Some of the older iPods (like the iPod Touch and even the iPod classic wheel) could actually connect to your Mac's iTunes, and the Mac could enable the iPod to be seen in "disk mode". The Mac sees the damn iPod like an external drive (i.e. a hard disk). And guess what? It just let you copy (drag and drop) music from the iPod and into your Mac.

It pretty much worked like dragging files from an external hard disk drive and into your Mac (and vice versa). However, not all of the older iPods had this "disk mode" capability.

Google Search "ipod disk mode" to see how it was done, and if your iPod is capable of such a transfer.

Reactions: carcarano

mattyj1202

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
Hi all,

In similar fashion, here's what I'm looking to do...

Need to transfer my music (a combination of 90% ripped CDs/10% iTunes songs) from my old iPod Touch 6th Gen (OS 12.4.6) to my much larger new iPod Touch 7th Gen (OS 13.2). The ripped CDs are from my own collection of hard copy CDs, and they are not backed up anywhere - just dragged and dropped onto my old iPod Touch. Also worth noting, I manually sync my iPods so that the ripped CD music isn't lost when the iPod doesn't see them in iTunes on my iMac.

I've seen some software recommendations, and I'm willing to pay for a decent software to do this (if needed). Previously used Senuti, but it's gone dark.

Would love to hear some recommendations about how to transfer my music from old iPod Touch to new iPod touch.

Thanks very much!

MJ

carcarano

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2020
You could use iCloud, but it depends on how much storage your music takes up. If you want to sync 5GB or less of music, you should use iCloud, anything else, you have to pay for. iCloud offeres 5GB of data free, and then either offers you a choice to upgrade to 200GB, or 2TB. You can choose, but if you go with 200GB, or 2TB, you would have to pay a monthly fee.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
You could use iCloud, but it depends on how much storage your music takes up. If you want to sync 5GB or less of music, you should use iCloud, anything else, you have to pay for. iCloud offeres 5GB of data free, and then either offers you a choice to upgrade to 200GB, or 2TB. You can choose, but if you go with 200GB, or 2TB, you would have to pay a monthly fee.

OP is trying to do a local transfer. iCloud will not be of assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.