Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmatthew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Montreal
My friend has a DVD with a film he made and it is NTSC Region 1 (he authored it himself). He wants to send it to Europe and I offered to do the transfer for him. I have Mac the Ripper and know I can make it a region free DVD. Does anyone know if I also have to convert it into a PAL format? If so, what kind of software would that require?
Thanks
Matthew

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I used Handbrake and iMovie with iDVD to do the opposite - PAL to NTSC - so I am sure that it would work the other way.

I might have doen it the long way since I needed to create the menus and everything. I could not find anything that would simply import it in one format and burn it in another. I know this is due to the differences in the standards, but it made it a bigger project than I thought it would be.

Basically, I ripped the DVD, then imported it into iMovie, marked the chapters as I wanted them to be, then saved it and imported it into iDVD. Made the menus and stuff and burned it.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
xmatthew said:
My friend has a DVD with a film he made and it is NTSC Region 1 (he authored it himself). He wants to send it to Europe and I offered to do the transfer for him. I have Mac the Ripper and know I can make it a region free DVD. Does anyone know if I also have to convert it into a PAL format? If so, what kind of software would that require?
Thanks
Matthew

Its quite likely that it will play on a European domestic DVD as it is. Most of the DVD players in the UK will play NTSC, no problem as long as the DVD & TV are connected via an SCART lead, (usually sold with the DVD by the over keen sales person)
Was it created on a mac /pc or professionally authored? I read in one of the DVD studio books that you can only set region encoding on professionally authored disk, but i could be wrong on this.

Or he could re create the disk NTSC region free...

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
evil_santa said:
Its quite likely that it will play on a European domestic DVD as it is. Most of the DVD players in the UK will play NTSC, no problem as long as the DVD & TV are connected via an SCART lead, (usually sold with the DVD by the over keen sales person)
Was it created on a mac /pc or professionally authored? I read in one of the DVD studio books that you can only set region encoding on professionally authored disk, but i could be wrong on this.

Or he could re create the disk NTSC region free...

These seem like better options to me. Software based NTSC<->PAL encoders invariably mess with the quality. If it's not critical to watch it on a DVD player, I would just Handbrake-rip it to a Quicktime movie and just watch it on a computer.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Not all European DVD players play NTSC. You can try it and find out, but if you want to do the conversion:

You can just use the converter in Final Cut or something like that. They tend to be mediocre.

Also, you can check out the Final Cut plug-in made by Graeham Nattress, which I've used and does a great job.

Or just send it and let them figure it out. After all, we were here first. Those stuck-up euro types had to go and create their own standard that doesn't drop frames, has a higher resolution, and doesn't get called "Never The Same Color" by your broadcast crew. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.