Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzpancake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
I've been set the task of transferring about 2500 photos to an iPad. Sounds simple.

I used to do this using iTunes but with the latest release i'm unable to drag n drop them into the iPad. It only says that iCloud photos is on, and i can can download them onto my device via wi-fi or cellular network.

I've also tried to use photos but i can only seem to import pictures from the iPad.

I tried Airdropping the photos and it gave me the option to put the pictures onto iCloud drive. This worked perfectly except for when i look at the photos on the iCloud drive app on the iPad, theres no simple option for saving all of these onto the iPad.

Dropbox also has the same problem as iCloud drive.

What i'm hoping for is a simple solution which doesn't involve having to download any additional apps on the iPad. I'll be very grateful on anyone who can shed any light on this.

Running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 and iOS 10.2 if this matters.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Add the photos to a folder or whatever in Photos and then sync them to the iPad via iTunes. I can't recall when you could actually drag 'n drop to an iOS device, anyhow. Elucidate?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'm probably missing the obvious reason why you wouldn't, but why not just use Photos on your Mac and iCloud Photo Library?

Not only does it take the hassle out of it but you can get the added benefit of optimised storage on your iPad.

Just open Photos on your Mac, make sure iCloud Photo Library is switched on, then go to File > Import and add all of your photos.

On your iPad, go to Settings > Photos & Camera and make sure iCloud Photo Library is switched on there too, also enable Optimise Storage.

Plug your iPad in, with WiFi enabled and your photos will sync automatically from the Photos app on your Mac to your iPad. It's by far the easiest way to manage your collection. Well, I think so anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.