Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhalDrogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
I have an iPhone 12PM using AT&T here in US. I have travel eSims which I keep active for 2 other countries that I visit, and these international numbers work in roaming mode here in the US.

So if I decide to upgrade to a new iPhone 15 in the US, will all 3 eSims transfer over to my new phone?

If not, can I leave the travel eSims on my old 12PM (advantageous because it still has a sim card slot) and just transfer my AT&T eSim to the new iPhone? And then I guess just wait it out until I can transfer each eSim in their respective country? (which sounds like a huge pain in the long-term!)

I'm just very confused about how Apple is pushing us to use "convenient" esims for travelling, but after a few trips we may accumulate multiple numbers to transfer.

Thx
KD

macf4n

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022
I have an iPhone 12PM using AT&T here in US. I have travel eSims which I keep active for 2 other countries that I visit, and these international numbers work in roaming mode here in the US.

So if I decide to upgrade to a new iPhone 15 in the US, will all 3 eSims transfer over to my new phone?

If not, can I leave the travel eSims on my old 12PM (advantageous because it still has a sim card slot) and just transfer my AT&T eSim to the new iPhone? And then I guess just wait it out until I can transfer each eSim in their respective country? (which sounds like a huge pain in the long-term!)

I'm just very confused about how Apple is pushing us to use "convenient" esims for travelling, but after a few trips we may accumulate multiple numbers to transfer.

Thx
KD
Did you work it out / get an answer?

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Essentially, some carrier have enabled Apple’s SIM transfer functionality, while others require you to contact them to obtain a new QR code to transfer and often make you pay for it. I really wish Apple controlled this and just made it part of the OS. The thing that made GSM so great (compared to TDMA and CDMA) was the ability to transfer your service simply by taking the SIM card and moving to another device, temporarily or permanently. Esim should be the same. It’s all fine that they want to adopt this new technology, but just give us the option to transfer at our own will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.