Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sagnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Hi! I just set ut my new iPhone 12 Mini by restoring from a backup of my iPhone 7. After the setup completed, I was surprised to see that a lot of the data numbers in the "About" section were smaller on the 12 Mini, than on the 7. 333 apps on the 12 vs 381 apps on the 7. 532 vs 538 videos. 9898 vs 10091 photos. 93.3 GB used vs 104.8 GB used.

Is this normal? What data is missing?

(Before I did the restore to the 12 Mini, I tried doing the wireless phone to phone quick start transfer. It did apparently work, but it finished with the 7 stuck on "4 minutes remaining". So I reset the 12 Mini and did the restore from backup procedure instead.)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Ditto above comment. I did mine as an automatic setup from my old phone with iCloud backup, normally I setup manually though still from an iCloud backup.

I was pleasantly surprised that everything was exactly like my old phone. Even websites such as this one, I didn’t even have to log back in. I’ll be always be choosing that option in future now

Reactions: absprb

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Maybe you had some data saved in iCloud (iCloud Photo Library, ? Encrypted iTunes backup should be full and definitely not less than iCloud. I would just reset it to factory and try again. p.s. Why on earth do you need 381 apps!? How do you even remember all of them? :D

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Maybe you had some data saved in iCloud (iCloud Photo Library, ? Encrypted iTunes backup should be full and definitely not less than iCloud. I would just reset it to factory and try again. p.s. Why on earth do you need 381 apps!? How do you even remember all of them? :D

It’s surprising how they build up, though I can’t possibly imagine actually using that many.

I just did my yearly app delete, getting rid of things I no longer need, apps I haven’t used for a long time and probably won’t. Saved myself nearly 20GB of space. I don’t need the space, but I like to be kind of organised.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Hi! I just set ut my new iPhone 12 Mini by restoring from a backup of my iPhone 7. After the setup completed, I was surprised to see that a lot of the data numbers in the "About" section were smaller on the 12 Mini, than on the 7. 333 apps on the 12 vs 381 apps on the 7. 532 vs 538 videos. 9898 vs 10091 photos. 93.3 GB used vs 104.8 GB used.

Is this normal? What data is missing?

(Before I did the restore to the 12 Mini, I tried doing the wireless phone to phone quick start transfer. It did apparently work, but it finished with the 7 stuck on "4 minutes remaining". So I reset the 12 Mini and did the restore from backup procedure instead.)
It could be data from cache, web browsing, saved files you haven’t downloaded from the cloud yet (Drive, Google, Dropbox...) and data from apps (like Instagram when you are scrolling many days it will get bigger).

About those apps - maybe some not upgraded for a newer iOS versions?

And that freezing update could do some harm, maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.