Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Company is getting me a new PC and so I will need to transfer the data from one PC to another. Problem is PC's dont have time machine nor Migration assistant and we dont have any backup software so I will be using my 64GB USB flash drive to do the transfer. Old PC is running Windows 10 and new one Windows 11. I can transfer my Excel and other files, however I dont believe my apps can transfer over easily. Need to transfer MS Office and Sage but for MS office dont have the old passwords. Perhaps new PC will come with Office I dont know because I use it often. Regarding Sage and other apps how can I transfer them to USB flash drive and then back to new PC in Windows?

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Given this is a work PC, presumably your work has an IT support department and AUP (acceptable use policy) that dictates just how such a transfer would occur. You can't transfer most software from machine to machine without reinstalling it, whether Windows or MacOS. Presumably they are sending you new machine that is imaged with the tools you need to do your job—Office, Sage, and so on. Transferring your data files over using your USB key is the same as you'd do it on MacOS: Copy onto key, unplug key, plug key into new machine, copy off key. Or use your company's private cloud (again, assuming they have one).

If your company has a Help Desk, you may want to submit this question to them instead of here. We can only guess what their requirements or process is.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Given this is a work PC, presumably your work has an IT support department and AUP (acceptable use policy) that dictates just how such a transfer would occur. You can't transfer most software from machine to machine without reinstalling it, whether Windows or MacOS. Presumably they are sending you new machine that is imaged with the tools you need to do your job—Office, Sage, and so on. Transferring your data files over using your USB key is the same as you'd do it on MacOS: Copy onto key, unplug key, plug key into new machine, copy off key. Or use your company's private cloud (again, assuming they have one).

If your company has a Help Desk, you may want to submit this question to them instead of here. We can only guess what their requirements or process is.
Nope no local IT for our building so we need to do the transfer.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Company is getting me a new PC and so I will need to transfer the data from one PC to another. Problem is PC's dont have time machine nor Migration assistant and we dont have any backup software so I will be using my 64GB USB flash drive to do the transfer. Old PC is running Windows 10 and new one Windows 11. I can transfer my Excel and other files, however I dont believe my apps can transfer over easily. Need to transfer MS Office and Sage but for MS office dont have the old passwords. Perhaps new PC will come with Office I dont know because I use it often. Regarding Sage and other apps how can I transfer them to USB flash drive and then back to new PC in Windows?
"Transferring" MS Office will consist of reinstalling Office on your new system. You can't simply copy a bunch of folders from one system to another. If you are using Office 365, then you can manage that access via their web control panel.

If you have a perpetual license, then you'll need to follow the instructions Microsoft has for transferring that license from one system to another.

Regarding transferring Sage, you will need to contact Sage support for guidance on how to transfer the software and the data.

To transfer your data files, you can use "proper" backup software, or a tool that syncs folders between two storage devices. I use FreeFileSync ( https://freefilesync.org/ ) to backup my Media harddrive on my iMac to another harddrive.
This method would involve 2 steps... step 1: sync your data files from your Win 10 system to the USB flash drive. step 2 : sync your data files from your USB flash drive to your Win 11 system.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
"Transferring" MS Office will consist of reinstalling Office on your new system. You can't simply copy a bunch of folders from one system to another. If you are using Office 365, then you can manage that access via their web control panel.

If you have a perpetual license, then you'll need to follow the instructions Microsoft has for transferring that license from one system to another.

Regarding transferring Sage, you will need to contact Sage support for guidance on how to transfer the software and the data.

To transfer your data files, you can use "proper" backup software, or a tool that syncs folders between two storage devices. I use FreeFileSync ( https://freefilesync.org/ ) to backup my Media harddrive on my iMac to another harddrive.
This method would involve 2 steps... step 1: sync your data files from your Win 10 system to the USB flash drive. step 2 : sync your data files from your USB flash drive to your Win 11 system.
I sure hope company has install discs or install drive for me to get Sage on new PC. As I understand most new PCS are no longer towers correct? Old PC is a tower and these get very dusty.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I’m assuming then that the laptop they are sending you should be imaged and already have most of the software you need already installed.

Does your company use OneDrive?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I’m assuming then that the laptop they are sending you should be imaged and already have most of the software you need already installed.

Does your company use OneDrive?
No it’s a desktop not a laptop. No they do not use Onedrive that I know of at least.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a NAS running off my Windows desktop and one on my M1 mini. Could you set up a network share on one of the PCs and just transfer files over the network? In my previous job, we had server systems which we could copy over files to to make them available to other employees.

I have gotten used to just reinstalling software when I go to a new system. I do this on whichever operating system I am using. It's just nice to start out clean on systems.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have a NAS running off my Windows desktop and one on my M1 mini. Could you set up a network share on one of the PCs and just transfer files over the network? In my previous job, we had server systems which we could copy over files to to make them available to other employees.

I have gotten used to just reinstalling software when I go to a new system. I do this on whichever operating system I am using. It's just nice to start out clean on systems.
Company is going a different direction. No more Sage and the PC should come with MS Office anyways. Other software on PC I can just download from internet. Do new PC’s come with CD drives? Doubt it. Do they come as Towers? Maybe a few but not most.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Company is going a different direction. No more Sage and the PC should come with MS Office anyways. Other software on PC I can just download from internet. Do new PC’s come with CD drives? Doubt it. Do they come as Towers? Maybe a few but not most.

I have not seen optical drives for a long time. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with an optical drive and I also have a 2008 Dell XPS Studio with an optical drive and that tells you how dated they are. I also have 2009 and 2010 iMacs with optical drives but my 2014 iMac doesn't have one.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have not seen optical drives for a long time. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with an optical drive and I also have a 2008 Dell XPS Studio with an optical drive and that tells you how dated they are. I also have 2009 and 2010 iMacs with optical drives but my 2014 iMac doesn't have one.
Neither does my 2020 MacBook Pro. I have an external one that I use to watch DVDS of coarse but that’s all. No more CD-ROM.

Jeni01

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2023
Trying to transfer data from one PC to another. But you don't know how to do this task. so in that case, as a normal user, I recommended you can read the Offie365tips site blogs. In the blogs of this site, you will get step-by-step all the process in a good way, with the help of which you will be able to do the work of hours in a few clicks.
  1. Move Office 365 Mailbox to Another User Account
  2. Save Emails from Outlook Web App to Computer
  3. Migrate shared mailbox data to office 365
  4. Transfer OneDrive for Business to Another Account
  5. Office 365 Tenant To Tenant Migration Step by Step
  6. OneDrive Migration Best Practices
  7. Microsoft Office 365 migration checklist

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There really shouldn't be too much to transfer if you use cloud or server based storage. I'd go down that route, then push comes to shove, just use a larger flash drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.