Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro with an ATT eSIM. It sounds from this:
That there is a built in software process to transfer the eSIM between phones and that I will be prompted when I first start my new iPhone 12 Pro. Has anybody done this? Does it work? Any tips or tricks?

Reactions: clunkmess

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
I ended up removing the second line (esim) from my iPhone 11 Pro and will use the QR code to scan it back on to the new phone when it arrives.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I'm trying to figure out the same thing, but on Verizon. On T-Mobile it appears to be supported, but Apple says it's up to the carriers, and I couldn't find information for AT&T or Verizon
I called AT&T today and they said it would work. I also have a friend who works at the store so worst comes to worst he will text me a copy of my QR.

Reactions: JFR0317

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I happen to have an inventory here of iPhone 11 Pros and Im going to test it out now to see. Im updating one to 14.1 as we speak and then will erase it.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Also have a friend who is an Apple store manager - hes also looking into it. Will report back.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok here it is folks. I was able to step through the Quick Start procedure on a freshly wiped iPhone 11 Pro from mine up to this point where it asks to transfer the eSIM. Super super cool. This is with AT&T. Getting to this point was entirely non-destructive as my current phone suffered no loss in connectivity and the freshly restored phone did not receive any data or eSIM info. I was able to simply hit back until it brought me to the country choice screen. Next question becomes if you say "Later", where would you initiate this procedure at a later time? Maybe it just means you could install an eSIM, but why allow this feature to transfer it only in the Quick Start?

esimevidence.jpg

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Pardon the topic hijack, but since the question has been answered, can I ask, does moving from SIM to eSIM (with AT&T, post-paid) still require going to a store? This seems like a crowd that would know. TIA!

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Keep us posted, going to do this tonight as well. Assuming I am going to have to call At&t though.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I do have AT&T Prepaid, if that matters. I called their support number, and was told they don't have the ability to resolve this over the phone, and I would have to visit a store.
Ah that may be why. But it gave you the option.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I do have AT&T Prepaid, if that matters. I called their support number, and was told they don't have the ability to resolve this over the phone, and I would have to visit a store.

I also have AT&T Prepaid, and I couldn't transfer my eSIM. After it didn't work, I decided to try scanning my original QR code, but that didn't work either... I got a message that the activation code was expired. I guess transferring eSIM might only work for postpaid accounts.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I also have AT&T Prepaid, and I couldn't transfer my eSIM. After it didn't work, I decided to try scanning my original QR code, but that didn't work either... I got a message that the activation code was expired. I guess transferring eSIM might only work for postpaid accounts.
That follows with ATTs long standing practice of having pre paid jump through more hoops (i used to work in retail).

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
So you basically followed the instructions on Apple's site?
Yeah but really i just said yes when the new phone asked if i wanted to transfer over directly from another phone, then held the camera up to the QR code type thing and it was seamless from there. It was nice bc I could transfer the eSIM and start my iCloud but then opt out of transferring the rest of the phone data as I like to start my new phones as new. Seamless.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah but really i just said yes when the new phone asked if i wanted to transfer over directly from another phone, then held the camera up to the QR code type thing and it was seamless from there. It was nice bc I could transfer the eSIM and start my iCloud but then opt out of transferring the rest of the phone data as I like to start my new phones as new. Seamless.
I did the same, but it didn’t ask if i wanted to go eSIM to eSIM. How can I can if it transferred eSIM to physical SIM, or eSIM to eSIM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.