Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyCee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Hi,

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, which is a Straight Talk CDMA phone. I have a years worth of ST service scheduled to end on November 26, 2014. My mother gave me her iPhone 4 since she just upgraded to the 5S. The iPhone 4 is on the AT&T network. I went ahead and purchased an AT&T compatible sim card from Straight Talk's website. As soon as I got it, I put it into the iPhone then attempted to switch existing ST service to this new sim card. So I entered the sim card number and selected the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim as the phone I wanted to transfer the number from. I got the following message when I submitted my request: "Old phone service plan is not compatible with new phone". What is the reason for this? Is it because the iPhone is not unlocked? If that's the case, I thought that as long as you purchased an AT&T compatible sim card that the phone did not need to be unlocked. Or is it because I somehow ruined the sim card by putting it in the phone BEFORE activating it?

I want to be able to switch my current year long plan over to the iPhone. I called customer service over the phone twice and both representatives got the same error message on their end. Please let me know what I need to do so I can use this iPhone.

I spoke with a Straight Talk rep via chat and was told that since my service end date is next year, I am unable to do the transfer online. I will need to call since they have a different tool to do this particular transfer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.