Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Hi all,

My girlfriend is considering the purchase of a Macbook. She, however, would like to know whether it is possible to access your documents on the Mac partition (after using bootcamp) and edit them in Windows (should this be necessary for whatever reason). Is this possible?

Simple example situation -> Word document stored in Documents on the mac partition. Can she open it in Word for windows, edit it and then save again to the original location on the mac partition?

Thanks for your help!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I dont think it`s possible. You will have to buy a special software to make windows able to read OSX partition. Though I might not do it as it`ll leave OSX partition prone to windows viruses.

But you can use OSX to read/write anything on Windows Fat 32 partition without any problems.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
You can read the files from the windows partition when running Mac OSX, but you can't write there. Windows does not see the Mac partition at all.

Here's what I do:
- Make a FAT32 partition on the hard drive and put all the documents you want to share between the 2 operating systems there. Both Windows and Mac OSX can read and write there. PM me if you want details.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
vikas soni said:
I dont think it`s possible. You might have to buy a special software to make windows able to read OSX partition.

You can buy Macdrive for $50 to read your Mac partition on the windows side.

Edit, damn beaten to it, we are clearly far too helpful :p;)

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
use MacDrive cautiously

I'm using MacDrive and since I got my MBP, it has corrupted and destroyed 5 OSX installs. Each time I figure out a few more things to avoid and the MacDrive folks fix a few more bugs, but it's still not particularly stable. If you use MacDrive back up often!

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
As a slightly different option you can do this with Parallels through the shared folder.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
slackersonly said:
As a slightly different option you can do this with Parallels through the shared folder.

I would also say that, since this is all hypothetical at this point, unless you know your girlfriend cannot do something she needs to do in Parallels, that it is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.