Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Hi,
In 2009 we created some movies that were made into iDVD projects from what would have been iMovie 6 at the time. I have all the media but am stumped as to how to reopen these videos so they can be reworked. Is there a way to do that or am I stuck working from scratch?
Thanks,
Mary

I have an M1 MacBook Pro, Ventura 13.2.1, 16 GB

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I think I've read that some of the coding needed to opening those old video files has slowly been removed from the mac over the years. Handbrake should be able to convert them to a format your mac can understand. Are you going to want to put them back on DVD?

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
I don't understand what exactly you're trying to open. The iMovie project? The iDVD project? Just the raw footage (from the DVD or the original media?)?

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
No, we won't be putting them back on DVD and they are not on a DVD now. They are the project files that we would have originally made into a DVD for a video portion of a teaching session. The mov files are not readable. They just come up as a black screen, or as unreadable by QT.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
We have the full file *.iMovieProject files with everything in them. The Audio Waveforms folder, the Cachefolder, *.iMovieProj file, the Media folder, and the Shared Movies folder. It is not on a dvd. Any dvds we would have made are no longer viable, plus if possible I would like to see what changes we would like to make to update the videos.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
That's great, but I highly doubt you will be able to open such an old project with the most recent version of iMovie. A lot has changed. As I said, not being able to open/play the media itself will most likely be due to an unsupported legacy codec.

MediaInfo, for example, will be able to tell you which codec that in fact is and anything else you might want to know.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
I am now downloading VLC to see if I can open the *.dv files, and I will see if I can start rebuilding them from the bottom up.
We are several computers removed from the original one, and am now learning a new system again.

Thanks, again
Mary

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Had you mentioned the fact that they are .dv files I could have told you right from the start that they are most definitely incompatible and that is the issue.

They will need to be converted with VLC, Handbrake or whatever on any macOS beyond Mojave, yes!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.