Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtr457

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2016
Hello,

I'm looking to transfer my iTunes Music folder (About 60 GB) from one computer to another without directly connecting the computers via a cable or using an external hard drive.

I tried Dropbox, but the maximum file size that can be transferred is 20 GB. Even then, it was estimating an upload of this amount would take over 2 days.

I also tried Google Drive, and while it could upload the entire 60 GB, the upload was extremely slow as well.

Does anyone know of a program or service that can directly transfer large files from one computer to another more quickly than Dropbox or Google Drive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm looking to transfer my iTunes Music folder (About 60 GB) from one computer to another without directly connecting the computers via a cable or using an external hard drive.
The best option is to use an external drive, and here's my reasoning.
First off, its good form to backup your computer, either using Time Machine or something like Carbon Copy Cloner (I use both but prefer CCC). You can then just use your backed up data and restore it to the other computer
Second reason, the external drive will be much faster and syncing up your data then anything over the air. Trying to use the wifi (or ethernet), will be very slow and this becomes painfuly noticable for a large library.
Third reason, external drives are very inexpensive at this point so why not.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Complete agreement with what Mike wrote above.
That's what I was thinking when I read the OP's first post.

Use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the iTunes folder to an external drive.
Best way to "get a good copy" onto it.
One VERY IMPORTANT feature of CCC is that it will not fail if it encounters a corrupted file. It will "take note" of the bad file, and keep right on going, until all the good files are copied. You can then review CCC's log to find out what files were bad (if any were).

Then... use CCC AGAIN to clone from the external drive to the "final target" drive.

CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days.
It will do the job, and do it right.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I've copied much more than this through our home wired network. Agree about the external drive and having backups as well.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello,

I tried Dropbox, but the maximum file size that can be transferred is 20 GB. Even then, it was estimating an upload of this amount would take over 2 days.

I also tried Google Drive, and while it could upload the entire 60 GB, the upload was extremely slow as well.

Does anyone know of a program or service that can directly transfer large files from one computer to another more quickly than Dropbox or Google Drive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You are speed limited by your internet connection and the speed of the service you are using, any usb 3 drive will be far faster and less likely to lose data. For the cost of a usb 3 64gb thumb drive, or as others mention the cost of a back up drive that it sounds like you need anyway (you should always have a back up solution) why not just bite the bullet.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
External drive is the best option as already mentioned. Alternatively, you can set up an rsync daemon/ssh access on one machine and rsync the data over via internet. Will be slower, but safe. If the two computers are on the same network (same WiFi router for example), its also most likely going to be faster than Dropbox and friends.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Robvas beat me to it: I've used Airdrop to transfer 30-40 photos at a time....no problem. I don't think Airdrop has a limit.Maybe divide the material into 4 or so folders ( or try a 1 gig sample of something and time it?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.