Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCrouton9597

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
I have my iPod classic 7th gen and want to import some music but I have no songs purchased through iTunes and to buy the same songs in my Apple Music/Spotify library would be around $500. Has anyone used a different method to get songs onto iPod without iTunes?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My first question is are you saying that you have the songs as files (mp3, etc) or are you saying that you've just been streaming your music?

MrCrouton9597

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
My first question is are you saying that you have the songs as files (mp3, etc) or are you saying that you've just been streaming your music?
I only have streaming music from Apple Music and Spotify. If there is a way to grab these music files from the app, then I could have the .mp3 or other file there

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I only have streaming music from Apple Music and Spotify. If there is a way to grab these music files from the app, then I could have the .mp3 or other file there
Not a legal way of doing it. However, as long as you are a paying Apple Music member, you can add these to current products as "downloads", but they will not be available to you if you cancel subscription.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Not a legal way of doing it. However, as long as you are a paying Apple Music member, you can add these to current products as "downloads", but they will not be available to you if you cancel subscription.
I don't have Apple Music to test it, but I seem to remember people saying that even if you have downloaded versions of the songs in your Apple Music library on iTunes, you cannot add them to an iPod Classic.

MrCrouton9597

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
I don't have Apple Music to test it, but I seem to remember people saying that even if you have downloaded versions of the songs in your Apple Music library on iTunes, you cannot add them to an iPod Classic.
No you can’t and that’s my main problem, the amount of songs I have saved on Apple Music would be around $500 in actually money on iTunes. Main reason why I asked in the first place but I may just end up purchasing it from them anyways, don’t feel like ending up in jail somehow lol

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
No you can’t and that’s my main problem, the amount of songs I have saved on Apple Music would be around $500 in actually money on iTunes. Main reason why I asked in the first place but I may just end up purchasing it from them anyways, don’t feel like ending up in jail somehow lol
You have other choices...one being to buy a cheap older model iPhone, like the 8 for example. You don't even have to sign up with a carrier, just sign in with your Apple ID. The iPod classic was wonderful when new, but it has a physical disc drive that WILL die someday...just a thought.

MrCrouton9597

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2022
You have other choices...one being to buy a cheap older model iPhone, like the 8 for example. You don't even have to sign up with a carrier, just sign in with your Apple ID. The iPod classic was wonderful when new, but it has a physical disc drive that WILL die someday...just a thought.
Yes but I’m not doing keeping my iPod for longevity like an iPhone, I’m keeping to keep the legacy alive. The iPod is what saved apple from bankruptcy and was hands down the most popular apple device in the world until the iPhone. I know that the hard drive will die one day but then there are other people out there who do want to keep the iPod alive and better with SD card modding. So yes, I could get an older iPhone, but then why do that if I’m just gonna be streaming music like I do already on my 11?

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

rsmurano

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
why not rip cd's to iTunes/Apple Music then transfer them to your device? I've been doing that for almost 20 years since iTunes came out. The easiest way to rip is using iTunes/Apple Music app, but the best way is to use XLD/MAX for higher quality rips. And this is not illegal

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
why not rip cd's to iTunes/Apple Music then transfer them to your device? I've been doing that for almost 20 years since iTunes came out. The easiest way to rip is using iTunes/Apple Music app, but the best way is to use XLD/MAX for higher quality rips. And this is not illegal
Also worth noting here that it's common to find CDs at places like thrift stores, yard sales, and second hand record stores, so you can start building a collection using those, and maybe only buy some of the albums brand new on iTunes, so you can save some money that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.