Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I had my 128gb 13 inch i5 Macbook Pro for several years and due to its small internal SSD of 128gb, i had my music library on an external Samsung T5 SSD Drive that's been connected to the Macbook at all times. Now, i just got a new M2 Macbook Pro with 256GB internal storage so i can finally afford to have my music library which is about 50gb in size on the internal drive of my Mac. What is the proper procedure to transfer my library which is used to being on an external drive over to the new Macbook Pro's internal drive? I had BigSur running on the old Intel Macbook and the new M2 Macbook is running Sonoma. I tried copying over the iTunes library from the external drive into the Music folder on the new M2 Macbook and then pressing option while clicking the Music app on the new Macbook Pro and choosing select library at which point i selected the "iTunes Library.itl" file and the Muisc app on the M2 Macbook loaded up but my music library is not up-to date at all and is missing 2-3 years of content so i'm a bit puzzled as to what i did wrong. Thank you in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What I'd try:

1. First delete the "copied over" library.

2. Then, connect the t5 drive. Let it mount on the desktop.

3. You're going to use the new "Music" app, right? I don't use it, but seems to me there must be an "import" function (I'm not using a Mac with "Music" on it as I type this)?

5. "Aim" the import at the iTunes library on the external drive. Now see if it will import from there.

Yes, it's a lot of data that will be moved.
Just be patient and let things go until it's done.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
What I'd try:

1. First delete the "copied over" library.

2. Then, connect the t5 drive. Let it mount on the desktop.

3. You're going to use the new "Music" app, right? I don't use it, but seems to me there must be an "import" function (I'm not using a Mac with "Music" on it as I type this)?

5. "Aim" the import at the iTunes library on the external drive. Now see if it will import from there.

Yes, it's a lot of data that will be moved.
Just be patient and let things go until it's done.
Yes I would like to use the built in Music app on MacOS. That’s what I’ve been using on my previous MacBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.