Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i transfer my notes from one machine to another running Yosemite other than exporting them as pdf?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Use iCloud.

Say the Original machine is "A", new is "B". A is currently the one with the notes on, signed in on a Notes-enabled AppleID account.

Sign B into the same account and enable Notes for the account in Preferences.

Wait for the Notes to sync down to the new machine.

Done.

Optionally then sign machine out of the Notes account and take the option to remove the Notes from that machine.

Does that seem to do what you want?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Suppose i don't want to use iCloud, can i do this more manually?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland

Copy text.
Open textedit.
Paste.

Save to network share or USB or email.
Not sure what you mean more manually.

Are you trying to create more work for someone? (to prove a point)?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

It takes more effort to respond to your further question than to actually transfer via iCloud.

You could also have someone (I'm not going to do it), find out where the local copies of the files are stored in the Mac file system and copy them from there to the same location on the target machine but again that is just more of someone elses time and effort for what? Are you afraid your notes are of value to federal agencies and they may be intercepted as they go vi the iCloud????

Copy, paste and enjoy the time it wastes....(free poetry, nearly)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ok, try this. QUIT notes on the machine you're copying from. then go here:
User Library>Containers>com.apple.Notes>Data>Library>Notes.

OPTION-drag (ie COPY) those three files to your desktop. put them on a flashdrive or something (or in a folder, zip it & email to yourself).

on the NEW mac, make sure Notes is quit, and put those files in the same location (replace the ones there if there's something there).

this will OVERWRITE any notes on the new mac...

should work...

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Worked like a charm! Many thanx!
Just one more thing, is it possible to open somehow one of the three files to see/read the notes i have entered? I ask because i do not have Yosemite at home ony SnowLeopard and wanted to read the notes i have in "Notes"!

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Step 1: Don't use a trashy notes app like notes if you're not using it for the iCloud functionality.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Worked like a charm! Many thanx!
Just one more thing, is it possible to open somehow one of the three files to see/read the notes i have entered? I ask because i do not have Yosemite at home ony SnowLeopard and wanted to read the notes i have in "Notes"!

not sure at all, but try an app like textwrangler, see if u can read anything with that... (but expect a lot of gibberish to sort thru, IF that works)...

speckk

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Local Notes are stored in
Code:
~/Library/Group\ Containers/group.com.apple.notes/

Sometimes you don't get to pick your battles, just your backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.