Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What im trying to do is kinda complicated.
There is an iPad, a MacbookPro and a Photos Library file.
I want to transfer, in the photo library file, a few photos from iPad.
That Photos library, opens flawlessly in Photos (by pressing the Option key, when Photos launches). In that library, i wish to place a few photos from the iPad photos library!!! Can someone tell me how do i do that?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
For clarity you have to Photo Libraries, one on the iPad and one on the MBP and you want to copy photos from one library to the other?

If that is correct export the photos out of the library to a folder on the MBP and then import into the MBP Photos library.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There are two libraries yes, but the SystemPhoto library (MBPro) is not involved in the issue im discussing here.
Its the 2nd Library file i have stored in the MBPro that i want to populate with the photos i have in the iPad.
I hope what i want to do is clarified :)

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Ok, so you have two photo libraries on the MBP and you want to move photos to the secondary Photos library.

Open the secondary Photos library by holding the option key while double clicking the Photos app. You will get a choice of creating a new library, or opening any of your existing libraries (in this case the secondary library). Once open plug your iPad into your MBP and import.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
So by what u suggest, i will have 3 libraries... the SystemPhoto, 2nd Library i already have and the iPad library i will create. I think we are close... now, i want to merge the iPad Library with the 2nd Library... is it possible to do this and how?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I am still not sure we are talking about the same thing.

You have photos on your iPad, and you want to move them to a secondary Photos library on your MBP?

Open the secondary Photos library on your MBP, plug in your iPad and import either all of the photos on the iPad, or just the ones you select using the Import command in the MBP Photos app. (Menu: File/Import)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
So by what u suggest, i will have 3 libraries... the SystemPhoto, 2nd Library i already have and the iPad library i will create. I think we are close... now, i want to merge the iPad Library with the 2nd Library... is it possible to do this and how?
I think the iPad can only access your iCloud photo library. To transfer files using that library, it probably needs to be the iCloud library on your Mac. Any other libraries on your Mac are probably just local photo stores with no connection to the iPad.

Otherwise, you would probably either need to export photos to the file system on the source machine and then share them via some means (like iCloud Drive) or a thumb drive or something similar. Then on the destination machine you would import them. I'm not sure if the iPad can import to the photo library directly.

Other way would be to have them near each other and use AirDrop. It's easy and has fewer intermediate steps, but it can be clumsy and unreliable for large number of files.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You have photos on your iPad, and you want to move them to a secondary Photos library on your MBP?

Open the secondary Photos library on your MBP, plug in your iPad and import either all of the photos on the iPad, or just the ones you select using the Import command in the MBP Photos app. (Menu: File/Import)
Yes, ok thanks, i managed to import to the secondary library the images i have in the iPad.

Now theres something else... i want to transfer to that secondary library the i-cloud photos... is this possible?
#Tagbert im sorry, is that what you suggested me to do?

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
yes, the same way. Open the library you want to import the Photo's too (secondary Library). Go to import, navigate to the folder on the iCloud library that has the photo you want and import.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When i see the pics in iPad Photos, how can i know which of them are stored in the Cloud and which are in my iPad?
Also how can i know how much space those photos use in my iPad?

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
When i see the pics in iPad Photos, how can i know which of them are stored in the Cloud and which are in my iPad?
Also how can i know how much space those photos use in my iPad?
You can check in Settings to see how much is used by photos on your iPad. I don’t think there is an easy way to know in bulk which photos are stored locally. If you are using iCloud Photos, the Photos app uses its own algorithms to dynamically download photos from iCloud. I would imagine that recent photos and any photos that you have interacted with would be downloaded and others shifted to the cloud. I suppose you could turn off Wi-Fi and then go through your photos opening them and seeing which ones remain thumbnails and which ones show the full resolution but that would get old, pretty quickly.

IMG_0215.jpeg

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
As indicated in the other posts, if you go to Settings/General/iPad Storage on your iPad, you will get a "storage bar showing the size of the various categories of items on your iPad, with the total space used by Photos. Scrolling down that screen there will be a line item for Photos showing the total size.

If you go to Settings/Apple ID/iCloud/Photos you will see the size and number of photos/videos you have storage on iCloud. If you are syncing your photos with iCloud every photo on your iPad should be located on iCloud. At the top of the page there should be a "Learn More " link which explains how photos are stored and shared between devices.

Reactions: Tagbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.