Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephS007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
When I bought Skyrim, I installed it with Steam and on my old Windows 7 computer. Its not a very good gaming computer and Skyrim is always a little laggy on it. I learned to deal with it but now I've got a Mac Book Pro that I know for a fact won't make Skyrim laggy.

The problem is, I have no idea how to transfer it. Do I just put the files on a USB and directly bring it over? If so, what exact files do I get? I'm really scared that I could mess up the files and have no Skyrim on either computer. What is the best and safest way to transfer? Please give me step by step instructions because I'm not good at dealing with computer files.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
When I bought Skyrim, I installed it with Steam and on my old Windows 7 computer. Its not a very good gaming computer and Skyrim is always a little laggy on it. I learned to deal with it but now I've got a Mac Book Pro that I know for a fact won't make Skyrim laggy.

The problem is, I have no idea how to transfer it. Do I just put the files on a USB and directly bring it over? If so, what exact files do I get? I'm really scared that I could mess up the files and have no Skyrim on either computer. What is the best and safest way to transfer? Please give me step by step instructions because I'm not good at dealing with computer files.

1. Windows installed via Bootcamp on MBP
2. Install Skyrim via Steam in Bootcamp
3. Copy Save files from your old computer into the same directory of your MBP in Bootcamp:
a) C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Save (Windows Vista/7)
b) C:\Documents and Settings[UserName]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves (Windows XP)

Should probably work :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Does it support Steam Cloud? If so, just enable that.

Ah: It does support Steam Cloud. Just install it and play it, your save files will copy over automatically.

Last edited:

StephS007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Parallels Desktop or Bootcamp?

Should I use Parallels Desktop or Bootcamp then, if I am following Northwestern's suggestion? Do both of them actually run on Windows when opened and not OSX?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Should I use Parallels Desktop or Bootcamp then, if I am following Northwestern's suggestion? Do both of them actually run on Windows when opened and not OSX?

You're gonna have to run it through Steam, Bootcamp will be the best option (for performance too).

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Using Windows natively dual booted (aka "Bootcamp") lets your Mac be just like any other Windows PC. This is the simplest and most compatible way to run Windows software since its now a full Windows PC just like the software was made for.

There are Cider and Wineskin wrappers around the web that run the game in OSX without needing Windows. Depending on your hardware you may or may not like the performance. This can get to a moderate difficulty to work.

The game will run through Windows running through Parallels on top of OS X. This will have a huge performance hit though...

I do not recall where Steam installs stuff on Windows since I don't use Windows like that... but you should be able to just get the game folders and make copies of them and put them on Windows on your Mac hardware, or use them inside wrappers... just like copying any other files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.