Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzwht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Every time I connect my iPhone 8 to my PC (running Windows 7) via USB and copy a bunch of video files, it works for some amount of time, maybe 5 minutes, maybe 10. Then the USB connection always fails with the message "A device attached to the system is not functioning". I've tried multiple desktop computers, front and back USB ports, USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Everything has the same problem. I've tried 2 different Apple USB cords.

Mind that the video files I'm copying off can be 500gb large each (they're sports videos), and USB 2.0 transfer speeds are incredibly slow. This means that it could take me days of frustration to copy this stuff off. Also, one of my computers no longer even recognizes the iPhone as a media device, presumably due to getting the above error so often.

I've read that you can check "Settings->Photos->Keep Originals" and that supposedly helps... not an option. I want the videos to be in playable format, not the original format, which refuses to play in most media players on Windows. I'm amazed how impossible it is to get media files off this device. (Almost as amazed as when I discovered the iPhone only has USB 2.0.) Is there some trick I'm not aware of, or do most PC+iPhone users just never take 1080p 60fps videos more than a couple minutes in length? Maybe for small videos or small numbers of videos this is never an issue.

Last edited:

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
There's a little chance that computer may take it as 'Timed out' error and disconnect the phone. Apply all OS updates, update iTunes and make sure you have 12.9 and not 12.6 with AppStore, and try again.

Also try to export 1 test video with iMazing trial, will you get more luck (note that it keeps original video format)?

bzwht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
That doesn't really help, sorry.

For anyone who finds this topic hoping to find a solution, I suggest getting a phone with USB 3.0. AKA not an iPhone. However, if you read this, it's probably too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.