Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fsmorelli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I currently own an iPhone 14 Pro Max and like the way 120Hz ProMotion display feels.

Come October, I'll be traveling to the United States, and I'm considering purchasing the iPhone 15 Plus due to its lighter build and more budget-friendly price, since both have the dynamic island. USB-C is a great motivator, regardless of which model.

I am keen on hearing from anyone who has transitioned from a 120Hz to a 60Hz display. Your experiences and insights will be greatly appreciated in helping me make an informed decision. Thank you in advance!

Hey Now

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I just switched from a 13 Pro to a 15 Plus and it’s fine for me. You just adjust to it. I can see the difference between 60 hz and 120 hz, and I really like and appreciate the faster refresh rate. It was my only reservation in “downgrading” from a pro model. But frankly it’s just fine, after a few minutes I don’t even notice or think about it 🤷‍♂️

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
With the 13 series I bounced back and forth between the 13 pro max and mini, spending most of the year on the Max but occasionally using the mini for a few weeks/mknths.

I found my eyes adjusted pretty quickly. Initially going back feels off but then I realized the smoother scrolling is mostly a. Nice to have and just for transitioning to what content I’m actually absorbing. Once you’re done swiping/scrolling you’re looking at a static screen anyway. Most video content is played at 24/30/60 fps so never reach 120hz either and look just as smooth on either device etc.

I do like 120hz though just to say if forced to I could also live with 60 without much issue.

Reactions: fsmorelli

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Before I talk about 60Hz I want to underline that US iPhones don't have a sim card slot, they exclusively support e-sim. If that's a problem for you (some carriers don't support e-sim) DO NOT buy a US iPhone.

As for 60Hz It's the sort of thing you'll know within a few minutes of use. For me I cannot stand 60Hz now that I've switched over to 120Hz+ for all of my devices. Try it out at the Apple Store first and you'll quickly know whether or not downgrading refresh rate is for you.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Initially when I got a Promotion screen I didn’t notice the difference. I thought it was totally overblown and even considered setting the frame rate limit back to 60 hz to save battery. I ended up forgetting about it and leaving it on. When the new phones were announced I considered a 15 Plus so I went back into the settings and set the frame rate limit down to 60. Literally as I swiped up to go back to the Home Screen from the settings, I saw the app minimizing animation and it looked terrible! Janky and stuttering. I immediately went back into the settings and set it to 120 again and knew I wouldn’t be able to go back. YMMV

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
Contemplated switching from my 14 Pro to a 15 due to the gorgeous pink color; unfortunately I found out after just a couple of hours that I absolutely can't stand the 60Hz display anymore, it's just feeling so laggy and outdated. What a shame.

You'll probably have to try it out for yourself, but IMO there's no going back once you're used to ProMotion. It's a night and day difference imo.

Reactions: fsmorelli
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.