Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNchedder

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
In an effort to follow the activities in Ukraine, I disovered that IOS will translate Russian but not Ukrainian. Although the languages are similar, they are still not the same and translating using Russian does not always work. Anyone have any idea whether Ukrainian will be added to ios Translate?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Ive been having a similar problem. Due to the ongoing events I think Apple should really include Ukrainian translations ASAP via the translate app/feature. It was disheartening to update to IOS 15.5/ Mac Monterey 12.4 and still not have the ability.

I've been very disappointed with the current usability. Apple will let me translate Russian propaganda no problem but it won't let me read what the Ukrainian government is posting.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Ever heard of Google Translate, folks?
I think the general thought is why the hell Apple translate can't even usually try to do it.

Results on my Galaxy Tab with gtranslate VS my 12.9 Pro with Apples translation really aren't -that- different, although the Tab does try harder and will garble words/sentences and spit out an answer even when it makes things more confusing/wrong just to spit out an answer (just tell me you don't know i don't want to look like an idiot speaking ******** because you need to output an answer), and you might get the jist (especially if you combine the two different softwares translations), and yet the results are still always somewhat wrong. I think its just a neglected language. With the current situation i'd expect both Apple and Google to get their stuff together but it has not happened.

I'm not inept when it comes to technology. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Ever heard of Google Translate, folks?
Exactly, Google Translate is far superior and not just by a little bit. The ability to transcribe and also use your camera in real time to translate text is invaluable. Apple Translate is outdated and goes into the list of Apple apps that have seemingly been given up on which is sad. I like Apple's privacy mindset but when a lot of their core apps are so bad compared to their Google counterpart's it feels like I have to give up privacy for functionality. Why can't Apple's software be better?

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I already gave up on Apple Translate, which is the worst. And also Google Translate. I’m using DeepL and I’m fine. Unfortunately it doesn’t have Ukrainian too

Reactions: addamas

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Is something going on? Someone asked for Ukrainian translation in the Garmin forums today. Random

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.