Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
my translation widget is still in library> widgets, but it will NOT come up in dashboard, its not in the widget manager or anything. i showed package contetns and deletd its .plist file, nothing. any ideas? thankx

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
my translation widget is still in library> widgets, but it will NOT come up in dashboard, its not in the widget manager or anything. i showed package contetns and deletd its .plist file, nothing. any ideas? thankx

Try double clicking on the widget itself, and seeing if it opens. If it does, close it and see if it's now available in the widget manager.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
What exactly is it that the deletion of the .plist file supposed to do?

Not to hijack anyone's thread, but my translation widget is coming apart at the seams, and will not switch from translating Russian to 'undefined'

any way to redownload the widget from Apple?

Picture%201.png

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
indigoflowAS said:
What exactly is it that the deletion of the .plist file supposed to do?

The plist is a preference file in an XML sort of format. Sometimes it gets corrupted and makes the program act goofy. It's a general sort of issue in OS X in that it can happen to many applications. But this particular widget seems to be a troublemaker.

As for the OP's problem, also perhaps try moving it out of the library/widgets folder and then double clicking it, which should "install" it. See if that helps, if just double clicking it doesn't help?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
yeah, i tried doubleclicking it in the widgets folder; nothing. now, ive put it on the desktop and at least get a reaction: The file "Translation.wdgt" is not a valid widget and you cannot install it. uhoh

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ugh...here, I zipped my translation widget for you. Try uncompressing to your desktop and then double-clicking *it*. Maybe you have a corrupt file, or a permission error or something....

Attachments

• Translation.zip
    223.2 KB · Views: 306

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
cool, thankx that did work, things seem to translate ok... hm this is weird, dashboard refuses to acknowledge it exists... its not there when i click the cross or the widget manager... o well thankx again

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If the widget is there now, then try resetting dashboard by executing "killall Dock" (notice capitalization) from the terminal. Anyway, I guess you're slowly getting there, if at least the widget works now? :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JDOG_ said:
Very odd. I wonder how it got corrupted in the first place.

It's a good question. This particular widget seems to be prone to a variety of corruptions and failures. No one seems to know why. But there seem to be widgets that are more or less susceptible to this. People complain about this widget all the time. I don't think anyone ever complains about the clock widget or the stickies widget.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I think the translation widget it just generally badly programmed. Mine takes like 3 full minutes to translate "good" from English to Español, which is totally stupid and should be instant if not maybe 1 second max. I've resorted to using internet translation sites.

My widget wasn't always like this though, it used to be happy snappy. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.