Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renecek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hello,
using trial version of Transmit and thinking about buy licence but I'm confused. I want to upload some files to "admin" folder.
I tried to upload files and transmit asked me if I want to replace or merge files. I clicked on replace and transmit deleted full "admin" folder!

Previous I used Filezilla, there wasn't any problem. Filezilla is just slow (GUI).

Can you help me how to add files to existing folder on ftp?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Doesn't anyone read the documentation when faced with unfamiliar features? (We used to say, RTFM, but since these days there are no manuals, it needs to be RTFHD - read the freakin' Help documents!)

Offhand, I'd say you should have chosen Merge.

I'm assuming the dialog box asked if you wanted to "Replace" or "Merge" the contents of the folder or directory. Web developers need that option - sometimes they need to upload an all-new version of a web site (Replace), sometimes they need to add additional content to that site (Merge).

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Hello,
using trial version of Transmit and thinking about buy licence but I'm confused. I want to upload some files to "admin" folder.
I tried to upload files and transmit asked me if I want to replace or merge files. I clicked on replace and transmit deleted full "admin" folder!

Previous I used Filezilla, there wasn't any problem. Filezilla is just slow (GUI).

Can you help me how to add files to existing folder on ftp?

I'm not sure what the confusion is. You obviously tried to upload an entire directory called "admin" to a server that already had an "admin" folder. Then Transmit tried to warn you that you would replace the entire directory, and even offered to merge the files it contained instead, but you insisted, and so Transmit did exactly as anyone would expect, it replaced the entire directory.

The same thing would happen if used Finder locally to drag a directory to another directory that already contained one with the same name, or if you used "cp" in a local shell, or if you used "scp" to transfer the directory to a path on the server that already contained a directory with the same name.

Transmit is an exceptional file transfer client and blows away FileZilla (slow and unpolished interface) and CyberDuck (the slowest of all and requires Java).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.