Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm looking to replace Filezilla with another GUI SFTP file transfer application. After searching several forums and Websites, it looks like Transmit and Cyberduck are the most highly recommended.

I like that Cyberduck is open source, but I've never heard of it before. Transmit has been mentioned on the Mac Power Users podcast by MacSparky, so that gives it more street cred in my mind.

I'll mainly be using it with my hosted Wordpress server and also with my local Synology server. I often use command line sftp, but sometimes I'm in a lazy mood and would rather click and drag files :)

Have any of you who have used both apps mind sharing your opinion on which app is better?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've used both Cyberduck and Transmit and find them both to be good and easy to use. I'm curious, why do you want to move off of FileZilla?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm looking to replace Filezilla with another GUI SFTP file transfer application. After searching several forums and Websites, it looks like Transmit and Cyberduck are the most highly recommended.

I like that Cyberduck is open source, but I've never heard of it before. Transmit has been mentioned on the Mac Power Users podcast by MacSparky, so that gives it more street cred in my mind.

I'll mainly be using it with my hosted Wordpress server and also with my local Synology server. I often use command line sftp, but sometimes I'm in a lazy mood and would rather click and drag files :)

Have any of you who have used both apps mind sharing your opinion on which app is better?
Used CyberDuck for well over a decade, been using Transmit for about two years now. I switched just to try something new and expand my knowledge. They are both well written software. At the moment I prefer Transmit, mostly due to the 'new / shiny' effect.

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I've used both Cyberduck and Transmit and find them both to be good and easy to use. I'm curious, why do you want to move off of FileZilla?

Filezilla gets a lot of "potentially malicious warnings and also MacUpdater doesn't support it. I'm willing to pay extra for less hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.