Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eojresu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
I was showing off my old computer loot to my son, when I found this in one of my old boxes. He had a good laugh over how bulky the thing is.

I still have the original case, stylus, batteries, and storage card. Unfortunately, I can't find the charger, so I don't know if it still works. I think I only played with it for a few days in 1993, then I threw it in some carton box until I unearthed it today. For all I know, the storage card still holds my data from 26 years ago.

I thought I'd share this with everyone.

back.JPG front.jpg storage card.jpg batteries.JPG

eojresu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
Pretty cool. Can you run in on AA batteries?

I actually thought about doing just that after I posted the initial pictures. However, the batteries in my Newton Rechargeable Pack (tm) (LOL) have leaked, and they are stuck to the device. I decided against removing the batteries by force and possibly causing more damage to the Newton.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
That's awesome! What's the story behind this? All I can find on the Internet is that it was supposedly handed out at a developers' conference and the production run was anywhere from 150 to 1,200 units.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Loved the Newton and Message Pad 2000. Used them extensively in my business. Made custom forms to fill out while picking up projects, very useful.
Very sturdy, dropped the MP down two flights of stairs once. Only damage was the flip lid came off. Put it back on and good to go.

eojresu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2019
That's awesome! What's the story behind this? All I can find on the Internet is that it was supposedly handed out at a developers' conference and the production run was anywhere from 150 to 1,200 units.

There's not much of a story behind my Newton. I was working at Apple at the time (in a different part of the company), and there was an offer for employees to purchase a special edition transparent Newton. It seemed like a cool toy, so I bought one. Perhaps these are left-overs from the developers' conference? I was not at all related to the Newton folks, so I never bothered to find out the back story.

FrenchKiwi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Oregon
I got one from a previous apple employee with the original box and all the extra's, but he was also a dev at apple

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Big fan of the Newton. I actually had a collection of them

I the newton 110s in clear cases were reasonably common

I still have a bunch of these in a closet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.