Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
One more step to completing that Tiger Sierra Theme would be a transparent menu bar.

Couldn't find anything with a DuckDuckGo search, but I know it's possible because @swamprock had showed screenshots with it. Anyone know of a way to get a transparent menu bar on Tiger?

Thanks in advance. :)

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I know, right? I'm trying to do the same exact thing on classic! :D

WindowShade may do the trick though, don't know if you've tried this one. It looks like a very tiny download right now, so hopefully it's still part of their products download page here.

For my GUI mod it may be a little harder, either a resedit hack more than an old classic extension or control panel. I'd even go for a pic replacement. Somehow I remember that something was doable along those lines, but I can't remember what that was for the life of me, lol!

Try this one out and let us know if it works, or if the download is even on their site anymore! If not, it may be worth huting this software down just to see if it works.

I don't have a running Tiger OS at the moment to test it out, although I've been thinking of running it virtually on one of my Intel Macs.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I know, right? I'm trying to do the same exact thing on classic! :D

WindowShade may do the trick though, don't know if you've tried this one. It looks like a very tiny download right now, so hopefully it's still part of their products download page here.

For my GUI mod it may be a little harder, either a resedit hack more than an old classic extension or control panel. I'd even go for a pic replacement. Somehow I remember that something was doable along those lines, but I can't remember what that was for the life of me, lol!

Try this one out and let us know if it works, or if the download is even on their site anymore! If not, it may be worth huting this software down just to see if it works.

I don't have a running Tiger OS at the moment to test it out, although I've been thinking of running it virtually on one of my Intel Macs.
Unfortunately the download isn't there anymore. :( Thanks for your suggestion though! I may still find WindowShade elsewhere.

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Unfortunately the download isn't there anymore. :( Thanks for your suggestion though! I may still find WindowShade elsewhere.

Found it. :) Let me know how if it works out! :D

Attachments

• MenuShade for Tiger.zip
    69.3 KB · Views: 368

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I saw MenuShade on their website but assumed it wasn't the same as WindowShade. I'll be sure to try it!
Awesome! At least one PPC Mac can have the latest look, too! :apple:

Now onto how to make my Mac OS 8.1 menubar transparent.. lol o_O

I've seen some hacks to completely transform a Mac OS 9 menubar, so I know it's doable ;)

Reactions: AmazingHenry

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm curious now, is there something like themepark for ppc? I couldn't find a version that's not intel only. A couple of years ago I managed to modify my snow leopard to have a semi transparent pinstripe menu bar which looked great! Just can't find a tool alike for leopard ppc - as I have a bit of free time now I would try that again, this time making leopard look a bit like jaguar

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm curious now, is there something like themepark for ppc? I couldn't find a version that's not intel only. A couple of years ago I managed to modify my snow leopard to have a semi transparent pinstripe menu bar which looked great! Just can't find a tool alike for leopard ppc - as I have a bit of free time now I would try that again, this time making leopard look a bit like jaguar
Themepark
Candybar
Magnafique

Magnafique and Candybar are what I use.

Reactions: amagichnich

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Picture 1.png

Reactions: pochopsp

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Hope it works! One problem I have with MenuShade , however, is that it takes up dock space. We need a way to run it without a dock icon.
You may want to give this tool a whirl. Edit: Ooops, I think Dock Doger only works on Tiger and up :(

Although I remember another tool that used to do this was called Dockless. It ran on Jaguar first and then was updated for Panther.

Attachments

• Dock Dodger.zip
    86.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Edit: Ooops, I think Dock Doger only works on Tiger and up :(
Perfectly fine as I'm running Tiger :D. It works. However, the transparency function doesn't work in the Dock Dodged version. Works fine in unmodified version. So, if you're going to use this tool, all you can do is set the color to the color of your desktop, and checking transparency just makes it white.

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
The transparency function doesn't work if you're going to use this tool, all you can do is set the color to the color of your desktop.
It's a real catch-22 then. I do recall that it faked transparency, and I guess that was the reason why. You may want to try hiding the dock icon manually to see if it affects the transparency. If it works, then an applescript may work to hide the icon automatically at startup.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
It's a real catch-22 then. I do recall that it faked transparency, and I guess that was the reason why. You may want to try hiding the dock icon manually to see if it affects the transparency. If it works, then an applescript may work to hide the icon automatically at startup.
Manually? How would I do that?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
In the final theme, I'll leave this up to user option as it depends on your desktop picture.

If you have a picture that is pretty much all a solid color at the top, just set the menu bar color to the color of the wallpaper. Then you can hide MenuShade from the dock.

If you have a picture that changes colors across the menu bar, you'll probably want to fake transparency. But if you do, you'll have to have a dock icon. I suppose it won't matter for people who hide the dock.

On my G5, which has a picture that is all blue across the top, option 1 works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.