Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everyone...

I recently purchased an iBook and bought one of those laptop backpacks with it. I was wondering which position should it be in while stowed away in the backpack. I have a choice of stowing it either vertically with the screen release button facing down, or with it facing up. I cant remember which way it was packaged when I bought it but it was in one of those two positions when the box was carried by the handle. I assume this is the best position to stow it vertically.

If anyone has any ideas, or remembers which way it is positioned in the box, let me know :D

Thanks a Ton

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Re: Transporting an iBook in a Backpack

Originally posted by frescies
Hey everyone...

I recently purchased an iBook and bought one of those laptop backpacks with it. I was wondering which position should it be in while stowed away in the backpack. I have a choice of stowing it either vertically with the screen release button facing down, or with it facing up. I cant remember which way it was packaged when I bought it but it was in one of those two positions when the box was carried by the handle. I assume this is the best position to stow it vertically.

If anyone has any ideas, or remembers which way it is positioned in the box, let me know :D

Thanks a Ton

I store it in a case horizonally, with the ports facing down. It's usually in the case, and the in a backpack.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I just put it in horizontally. I usually put the hinge facing up simply because it's easier to pick up out of the bag. I can't imagine any reason that either orientation will cause problems.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I'll be dipped in cream sh** then wiped clean.

I never thought I would ever meet anyone, who wanted to carry their iBook back and forth to class.

I did this almost my entire senior year at H.S. What I did was place a few slips of styrofoam on the bottom of the area of the backpack I am putting my iBook in, and I glued the styrofoam to the bottom of the backpack.

I learned that hard way that styrofoam doesn't always stick the first time. I learned when i discovered that a few sheets of styrofoam came off and stuck to my iBook with the glue dried on. My iBook was port-side down at the time.

Since then I have kept better glued styrofoam to my backpack, and I have placed my iBook port-side UP.

Make sure you close the iBook lid and let the Hard Drive spin down for a few seconds before you put it in your backpack.

Also, make sure you don't squeeze in too much stuff into the same backpack slot as your iBook, or your iBook may be critically scratched or even have a case crack.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by King Cobra
[...] place a few slips of styrofoam on the bottom of the area of the backpack [...] glued the styrofoam to the bottom of the backpack.

I learned that hard way [...] sheets of styrofoam came off and stuck to my iBook with the glue dried on. [...] port-side down [...] don't squeeze in too much stuff [...] iBook may be critically scratched or even have a case crack.

sheesh. what an effort for saving $40 on a sleevecase. SPEND THE $40!!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i got a bag from timbuk2, i always carry my iBook with the display hinge facing the ground, since i've had a lot of problems with the little release button and every time i put the iBook in with the hinge facing upwards, the iBook always opens, comes back from sleep, overheats...:rolleyes: :p
the alubook doesn't really have that problem, but then again it doesn't really fit in anything i have lol :p

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by übergeek
i got a bag from timbuk2, i always carry my iBook with the display hinge facing the ground, since i've had a lot of problems with the little release button and every time i put the iBook in with the hinge facing upwards, the iBook always opens, comes back from sleep, overheats...:rolleyes: :p

I always carry my iBook in its bag like that too, also so I can see the blinking sleep light next to the release button.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by übergeek
the iBook always opens, comes back from sleep, overheats

though i'm guilty of carting it around sleeping, too, i think we're really supposed to be shutting them down when hauling them around. keep the HD head from bouncing off the platter, don'tcha know.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I always put mine vertically with the ports facing down. I had the bottom of the laptop facing my textbooks, and lost one of its little feet (I found it again and stuck it back on), so now I face the top towards my books. Unfortunately it's received a few scratches in the process, but I spend most of my time looking at the screen, not the outside of the case, so it doesn't worry me too much.

Since I'm here talking about it, it could do with a memory upgrade. It's got 256 at the moment, but the upgrade's not urgent so I think I'll wait for Panther and order them both in from the US at the same time (save on shipping if I get them both from the same place, but this might not be practical in the end).

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by zimv20
sheesh. what an effort for saving $40 on a sleevecase. SPEND THE $40!!

I was not trying to save money. I had to use my backpack for my books and notebooks, but I also wanted to keep my iBoook in there (with its accessories). A sleevecase would serve as a second case, and I don't see the need to carry two cases back and forth to class.

(I would have had to spend $42 on my model, plus S&H. It is not a necessity.)

Also, the small slices of styrofoam came with several packages of window blinds. So I used those for protection.

frescies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
AH thanks for the reply's

Sounds like everyone has their own preferred orientation for their ibook in a backpack... And it seems that overall (except for royal pineapple who busted his clasp) none of the positions is particularly bad for the ibook, bend the screen hinge, or will shake things loose inside (which I had feared would be the case if I stuck it in the wrong way or something).

Also thanks for the clarification on the name of my "screen release button". The "clasp" sounds much better in comparison :D

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
though i'm guilty of carting it around sleeping, too, i think we're really supposed to be shutting them down when hauling them around. keep the HD head from bouncing off the platter, don'tcha know.

When you put a Mac to sleep, the disk will spin down and lock the head in park. So, sleeping Mac in a bag is OK to lug around.

Example: You are getting on an airplane, at security you have to demonstrate that your electronic gizmos are real. You have your PB or iBook in your case, alseep. Open it, demo, then go on.

Sleeping in long transit would be stupid though.

primalman

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
well now it doesn't really work...so i really don't care...
nevertheless the stupid iBook refuses to go to sleep, it overheats (really really hot, now i understand why nobody wants to leave their computer on while the lid' closed) and i get pissed because the fan thingie is really loud :rolleyes:

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by Nermal
Since I'm here talking about it, it could do with a memory upgrade. It's got 256 at the moment, but the upgrade's not urgent so I think I'll wait for Panther and order them both in from the US at the same time (save on shipping if I get them both from the same place, but this might not be practical in the end).

Bumping my iBook from 256 to 640MB was a huge improvement for me. OS X runs a lot better and the system seems considerably faster. I had waited a few months before adding memory because I thought it was too expensive (from Apple), but then I found a great deal at Other World (www.macsales.com) and for $99 and quick shipping I was happily running with 640MB. I could never go back. With OS X, there's no such thing as too much memory. Just do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.