Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you experienced this issue?

• Yes, still happening

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes, but it's fixed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
Hi!

I have this very strange issue with trash on my Mac. For the longest time, deleting files from external drives will change the trash icon to show there is something in it, but opening it in finder will show it empty, even though I just deleted files. This means I can't empty it. Ejecting and remounting the drives will make it appear, and will allow for the trash to be emptied.

Now, this has been going on ever since I upgraded to Sierra, so I just figured it was some junk on my system interfering with it and I decided not to do anything about it, but now I have a new computer, and the same thing is happening on this one as well, with newly formatted external drives. This can't be a coincidence.

Is anyone else having this problem in Sierra? So far I have just emptied it manually using terminal if I don't feel like ejecting the drive, but it's getting old.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Are you using the same external hard drive or different external hard drives? If you plug that same external drive into another Mac the same thing happens on the other computer?

I have not personally that issue before on any of my Macs running Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.