Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
So, an opportunity has come up for me to purchase a Trashcan after wanting one since it's release in 2023.

I also have a G4 Cube setup with the 17" Studio Display that uses the awesomely diverse ADC cable and would like to use that monitor with it. I'm picking up the Apple ADC to DVI adapter for $60CAD - will this work if I get a DVI to HDMI cable? I'd love to have the Studio Display in the middle with both the Trashcan and the Cube on each side making it easy to switch between the two.

It's a base model 6,1 with 512Gb SSD/16Gb RAM and has been used in a recording studio. It is like new and comes with the original box and accessories. It's being sold locally for $350CAD (around $260USD).

Other than it being aesthetically pleasing and awesome to look at, I want to use it for light gaming. I plan on installing Windows on it so I can load up Steam and play games I used to play from the 90s/early 2000s. I'd also like to play some "newer" games like the Mafia Definitive series from around 2020. From what I've looked up, it should be fine for this and I don't expect it to have amazing performance by today's standards.

I'm also wondering if it would be worth upgrading the CPU and RAM as I can get an E5-2667 V2 8-core or an E5-2697v2 12-core for around $45 shipped. Last question on that note -- I've read mixed things about CPUs from China, and eBay has them from both there and the US (for more $), is it safe to get one from China?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
I run a 2013 MP 6,1 for years now. It's a 6-core, 64 RAM, 1T SSD, 2xD500 model. Not my first MP (others are/were 5,1 and 4,1). I don't play games on it, but sometimes I run an X-Plane free version. I can tell from my experience that, unless you get lots of RAM and the 12-core CPU, you may not see spectacular results.

But that's perhaps because I run it on macOS, not on native Windows. I run Windows 10, but as a VM on Parallels. However, I never regretted that I bought; it's a beauty.

Reactions: zachz

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I run a 2013 MP 6,1 for years now. It's a 6-core, 64 RAM, 1T SSD, 2xD500 model. Not my first MP (others are/were 5,1 and 4,1). I don't play games on it, but sometimes I run an X-Plane free version. I can tell from my experience that, unless you get lots of RAM and the 12-core CPU, you may not see spectacular results.

But that's perhaps because I run it on macOS, not on native Windows. I run Windows 10, but as a VM on Parallels. However, I never regretted that I bought; it's a beauty.
Thank you for the information! Which version of macOS do you run on it?

Okay, I will look into getting an 8- or 12-core CPU to upgrade it, as well as RAM. My expectations for games aren't too high so I think an 8-core may suffice. The only other MP I have is a specced out 3,1 I got from school years ago since they wanted to throw it away. Unfortunately the power supply has died, it used to be fun using FC7 on it!

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
Monterey with all its updates. One final piece of advice, if you don’t mind. Go for the highest specs you can afford!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

I think you are GPU limiting (X-plane), increase RAM or upgrade CPU most likely won't help noticeably.

Of course, macOS is an issue as well, the 3D API isn't efficient as DirectX. Even you run X-plane in macOS natively, the graphic performance most likely still 30-40% worse than the GPU can do in Windows.

If you do that in Parallel Windows, then the GPU performance may further decrease 20-50%.

My expectations for games aren't too high so I think an 8-core may suffice.
For your info, more cores not necessary make the games run better. Most of the game cannot use more than 6 thread. So, a 4C8T CPU is usually good enough already. A 6C12T CPU can handle 99.99% of game reasonably well already. And a 8C16T will provide a bit extra computation power for some background process as well.

However, in the 6,1's case, the 8cores CPU are the best option for gaming indeed, because they has the highest turbo clock speed.

Besides, the D500 is actually a downvolted HD7870 (they share use the same Device ID). If you have a game list, you may search the net, and check how that game perform with a HD7870.

Like this

Just take another 10% performance away from the calculator (because the D500 should be downclocked a bit), then you should have a figure which can almost reflect the D500's real world gaming performance (in native Windows).

For D700, you can look for the performance of HD7970. Same situation as the D500 vs HD7870.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Besides, the D500 is actually a downvolted HD7870 (they share use the same Device ID). If you have a game list, you may search the net, and check how that game perform with a HD7870.

Like this

Just take another 10% performance away from the calculator (because the D500 should be downclocked a bit), then you should have a figure which can almost reflect the D500's real world gaming performance (in native Windows).

For D700, you can look for the performance of HD7970. Same situation as the D500 vs HD7870.

You messed up D300 (Pitcarin = HD 7870 GHz) with D500/D700 (Hawaii = HD 7950 and HD 7970).

D500 and D700 are both Hawaii based GPUs and basically the only diff is the VRAM size, 3GB with D500 and 6GB with D700.

D300 have 2GB VRAM and is a Pitcairn based GPU - it's the worst supported driver of all 3 late-2013 Mac Pro GPUs.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Using the ADC to DVI and then DVI to HDMI will create HDCP handshake issues. Streaming services will most likely not work on the display.

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Using the ADC to DVI and then DVI to HDMI will create HDCP handshake issues. Streaming services will most likely not work on the display.
Okay that makes sense. Thankfully I don’t stream much so I’m hoping the rest will work as I love the LCD Studio Displays. If not, I’ll look into “upgrading” to a Thunderbolt Display

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Okay that makes sense. Thankfully I don’t stream much so I’m hoping the rest will work as I love the LCD Studio Displays. If not, I’ll look into “upgrading” to a Thunderbolt Display
I use the LED Studio Display everyday with my trashcan, good display.

Reactions: cflem

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I use the LED Studio Display everyday with my trashcan, good display.
I’ve just picked everything up and so far it’s working great.

To my surprise, I was told the Trashcan was the base model, quad-core with D300, however it’s actually an 8-core D700 machine. Basically brand new in box (even has the original pull tab from the box in it 😂) so I’m pretty happy about that. Even the ADC adapter I got has the original plastic tape around the brick, it’s like going back in time!

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I’ve just picked everything up and so far it’s working great.

To my surprise, I was told the Trashcan was the base model, quad-core with D300, however it’s actually an 8-core D700 machine. Basically brand new in box (even has the original pull tab from the box in it 😂) so I’m pretty happy about that. Even the ADC adapter I got has the original plastic tape around the brick, it’s like going back in time!

That’s an amazing turn of events for a machine with those specs in that condition! I’d say you got a heck of a deal. I have a base model that just hangs out for its good looks.

It was my main Mac for years and became the machine I got my MBA with during the pandemic. It threw ECC ram fits its whole life but never let me down. It’s a little bit of a power hog, but it’s awesome.

Been debating what to do with it, and it may very well become my Windows machine, replacing a Mac Pro 4,1. It takes turns in my secondary setup with a Thunderbolt Display. Have fun with it, keep an eye on the ram, and keep dust off the internals. It’s a mini tank!

• Love

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You messed up D300 (Pitcarin = HD 7870 GHz) with D500/D700 (Hawaii = HD 7950 and HD 7970).

D500 and D700 are both Hawaii based GPUs and basically the only diff is the VRAM size, 3GB with D500 and 6GB with D700.

D300 have 2GB VRAM and is a Pitcairn based GPU - it's the worst supported driver of all 3 late-2013 Mac Pro GPUs.
I don't have any 6,1. So, just performed a quick check on the net.

The D300 (Device ID 6810) should be the Curacao XT / Trinidad XT [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270X/370X]

The D500 (Device ID 679E) should be the Tahiti LE [Radeon HD 7870 XT]

The D700 (Device ID 6798) should be the Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]

The 7870 I mentioned has Device ID 6818, and the HD7950 you mentioned has Device ID 679a. Which most likely not related to the 6,1.

Apple never state what those GPU actually are. So, I only base on their Device ID to find the equivalent PC parts. Memory config etc are not considered.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
I've done a fair amount of gaming on my little trash can. I scored a brand new 6 core D700 64gb 1TB last year, and have been putting it through it's paces. Plenty of 2015 and back games, both in Monterey (and my legacy Mojave install since some games went poof when I updated) as well as in WIN 10. It's actually been pretty impressive, both in performance and stability. I am running my 30" ACD with the TB2 to ACD adapter, and it is pretty much flawless.

That sounds like an even better score than mine, you sure they don't have any others laying around??? ;)

Reactions: weezin and zachz

zachz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I've done a fair amount of gaming on my little trash can. I scored a brand new 6 core D700 64gb 1TB last year, and have been putting it through it's paces. Plenty of 2015 and back games, both in Monterey (and my legacy Mojave install since some games went poof when I updated) as well as in WIN 10. It's actually been pretty impressive, both in performance and stability. I am running my 30" ACD with the TB2 to ACD adapter, and it is pretty much flawless.

That sounds like an even better score than mine, you sure they don't have any others laying around??? ;)
Sounds like an awesome set up you have! I’ve been very impressed with it so far, only using it on W10 though.

Well he does have 2 more available, or he did when I bought it last week. He said they’re both in the same condition and same specs - located west coast Canada

Reactions: AngryRedTicTac

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012

Which games specifically, if you don't mind me asking? This is exactly what I'd want to do if I get one of these.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Which games specifically, if you don't mind me asking? This is exactly what I'd want to do if I get one of these.
In OSX the toughest it has seen is Rust, Battletech, Kerbal, Disco Elysium and Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I wish there were more offerings, but alas...

In Windows it has seen tons of Valheim as well as DCS World and such.

I probably should start budgeting for an M processor machine mightier than our little Air, but for now, GO TRASHCAN GO!!!!

Reactions: zachz and weezin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.