Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Hello.

I'm new to the 6,1 (should have it in the next few days) and I'm looking for assistance in connecting it to my displays.

My home setup is this:
Mac mini 2018 Mac Mini connected to two Acer 32" ET322QU 2560x1440 with the following cables:

Mac mini | USB-C Male to USB-C Female |*| USB-C male to HDMI | Monitor

This allows me to easily switch between my home computer and my work laptop where I disconnect the Mac mini setup at the "*" point and plug the MacBook with the HDMI to USB-C

----------------

Aret here series of cables and adapters that would allow me accomplish the same "easy switch" setup between a 2013 Mac Pro and a 2021 14-inch MacBook Pro?

Prior to using the 2018 Mac mini (Thunderbolt 3), I was using a 2014 Mac mini (Thunderbolt 2 but a USBC physical connection). and my cable setup worked (for one monitor, the other one I needed to use HDMI).

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I'd permanently connect the 2013 Mac Pro with two Mini-Displayport to Displayport cables.
Then activate auto-select-input on your displays so they switch to HDMI if the Mac Pro is off but your MacBook is connected.
Do I understand you correctly, currently you use two USB-C to HDMI cables?
You can re-use them to connect your 2021 MacBook Pro (or one direct HDMI connection and one USB-C to HDMI).
Or for maximum convenience, buy a USB-C to dual HDMI adapter so you only have one cable to connect to your MacBook to drive both displays.
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam9c1

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'd permanently connect the 2013 Mac Pro with two Mini-Displayport to Displayport cables.
Then activate auto-select-input on your displays so they switch to HDMI if the Mac Pro is off but your MacBook is connected.
Do I understand you correctly, currently you use two USB-C to HDMI cables?
You can re-use them to connect your 2021 MacBook Pro (or one direct HDMI connection and one USB-C to HDMI).
Or for maximum convenience, buy a USB-C to dual HDMI adapter so you only have one cable to connect to your MacBook to drive both displays.
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.
Thank you for your reply.

I did order two, MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cables, and two DisplayPort cables.
I'll see if the monitors can be set to use HDMI as the primary source to auto connect to that.
Switching one of the monitors (via buttons is OK, but the other one I'd need to move to reach the buttons).

With that said, a physicall disconnect of the HDMI-USBC would be ideal.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I did order two, MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cables, and two DisplayPort cables.
The latter is unnecessary. The Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable goes directly from the Mac Pro to the display.
Btw, the Thunderbolt 2 / Mini DisplayPort ports of the 2013 Mac Pro are only rated DP 1.2 meaning max 4K@60Hz per cable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.