Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Anyone have any recommendations for a travel case for the 6,1 Mac Pro (2013)?

I still use mine quite a bit (it is portable and still quite fast) and use a camera carry case for it but I don't like that bag so much. I was thinking of this:

Are there any others? I saw one in a news post on Macrumors but product no longer exists (company does however).

I’m asking for suggestions on any other similar products. Telling me to buy an M2 or M3 whatever are unwelcome. Same as telling me the bag is worth more than the computer.

Last edited:

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Looks good. If I ever needed one, I'd consider it. But still have the box for mine, so I'd likely use that unless I was doing a lot of movement. I found the other day that Apple still sells the lock mechanism for the MP6,1 also, btw - in case you're in need of one of them. Just need to buy the lock itself. Kinda cool to know. Love my 6,1 :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
But still have the box for mine,
So do I, but I prefer to keep the box stored away and in pristine condition. It even has the original stickers! :) Yes, that's how my stuff is - I'm very obsessive about keeping things perfect.

Reactions: sshambles

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
Hello :)

Just wanted to share this with you ... just incase. I too was looking for a very simple carrying case and found this vision pro case that was retrofitted and works amazing for my use ..... With best wishes. (25$)

tempImageKQRjzu.jpg

tempImageFTfagm.jpg

tempImageaeujSe.jpg

tempImageZlkcQe.jpg

tempImagekG9vM3.jpg

I love this MacPro :) I wish I could meet and hear from the amazingly smart and talented people who designed it .
With best wishes.

Last edited:

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
Another case with adequate dimension would be the following :) - As you may have gathered - I travel with my MacPro :)

Attachments

• IMG_4222.jpeg
    IMG_4222.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4222.jpeg
    IMG_4222.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    602.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4223.jpeg
    IMG_4223.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 10

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
I was looking at getting a padded lens bag from B&H Photo. They have a couple models that ar efor big old zooms that would fit with a few inches of extra space. Maybe stick a small bag of thunderbolt cables in to take up the space?
But instead I've just used the box and styrofoam it came in. That's lasted the last 10 years fine.

Reactions: pischu12

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
I was looking at getting a padded lens bag from B&H Photo. They have a couple models that ar efor big old zooms that would fit with a few inches of extra space. Maybe stick a small bag of thunderbolt cables in to take up the space?
But instead I've just used the box and styrofoam it came in. That's lasted the last 10 years fine.
I know exactly which ones you are talking about - the ones for the big SLR lenses :) That would be a great idea ... mine never came with a box hence ! ty !!!

Reactions: Calaveras

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
I think they were Pearstone or Tamrac?
Honestly you could probably get a decent hard case with pick and pluck foam for the cost of the soft carry case.
Harbor Freight has cheap Pelican knock offs.
Nanuk, another Pelican knock off that B&H sells, probably has at least one model that would fit it.
I've got over a dozen Nanuk cases and they are pretty solid. Better in some ways than Pelican.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010

Something like for the 300 f2.8 lens or the 200mm f2.0 lens which is also extremely chunky would work.

I’ve had mine in the bag for my 200-400mm Zoom Nikkor - it fits in that.

A hard case would be a better option and for the foam just get a sharp knife and cut it as required. The pull apart foam always in my experience ends up falling apart over time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.