Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Hello Everyone,

I plan on traveling quite extensively over the next few years to rural parts of developing countries and volunteering with healthcare providers and blogging about my experiences. The primary purpose of my computer will be creating blog posts that have photo and video components.

I've been thinking of getting an SSD MBA and selling my MBP 2.4ghz. Is this a wise choice? HD space is no issue since I use an external drive as my scratch disk already.

In addition to the travel, another thing pushing me towards a MBA is that in my life here in the US, I use my bicycle daily instead of my car. Transporting the MBP is no big deal, but since I'm powering the transport myself, I think I would notice the lightness of the MBA more than others.

Thanks for your advice!!!

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
I would recommend the 13inch MBP instead. Even though the air is very light the MBP isnt much heavier. It will have more power and since your going to 3rd world countries you get 7 hour battery life and it is stronger if you drop it.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
How about a beat up Dell mini9 with OSX installed?

It doesnt sound like your projected usage will require much computing muscle. Recording video and audio, typing, uploading files etc. A less 'flashy' machine could easily get the job done. Personally, I would have second thoughts about carrying around a machine that costs more then an entire extended family makes in a year in much of the world. Even if you are perfectly safe doing it, is that really the impression you want to make on the people you meet?

Spend some money on a waterproof, dustproof method of storage for the laptop, extra batteries and a way to charge multiple batteries at once from 'lower tech' equipment like a generator.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'd respectfully disagree with the advice to opt for an MBP instead.

I travel around the world, and I can tell you that extra 1 1/2 pounds weighs in - pardon the pun - after awhile on the road.

The MBA is perfect for the kind of travel you anticipate. The thing I really love about this computer is that the thin profile allows it to fit into my AmeriBag shoulder bag without difficulty. I keep mine in an Incipio sleeve; after security checks, I pop the MBA (still in the sleeve) into my shoulder bag and go.

I've travelled with both a 15" MBP and my MBA; suffice it to say I'll never travel with an MBP again. In fact, I came back home and sold mine after my last trip with it.

And, IMHO, the screen quality of the MBA beats the washed-out appearance of the screens on the new MBPs.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
what you need is an inexpensive netbook, preferably one that runs os x (such as mini 9). Macbook Air is a attention-catching, yet very fragile machine. Abroad in a foreign country (3rd world , 2nd world or otherwise), it's gonna get damaged, or stolen or both. In addition, it may be desirable to have a battery that's replaceable on the field, when you don't always have access to AC power. MBA's battery is really inadequate (3-4 hours), if you plan to use it in the field.
Dell Mini 9's may be your best bet.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Honestly I'd keep the MB and just get a 2nd battery for those times you're away from power. Or if the extra weight of the battery is too much, I'd still keep the MB for simple reason: the optical drive. Most countries have DVD/CD drives and you'll be able to burn your work or read discs that others may have into your computer. The air air can do that too, but then you'd have to lug a extra peripheral.

EDIT:
Acutally agree with the others recommending a cheap <$400 netbook for your travels. Much less likely to be stolen and less of a loss if it does. Besides for basic word processing, it's all you need.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
what you need is an inexpensive netbook, preferably one that runs os x (such as mini 9). Macbook Air is a attention-catching, yet very fragile machine. Abroad in a foreign country (3rd world , 2nd world or otherwise), it's gonna get damaged, or stolen or both. In addition, it may be desirable to have a battery that's replaceable on the field, when you don't always have access to AC power. MBA's battery is really inadequate (3-4 hours), if you plan to use it in the field.
Dell Mini 9's may be your best bet.

really?

have you owned a macbook air?

there far from fragile and would for a joke outlast any netbook.

mba for travel...nothing else, the air is as fast as the 15" mbp people that say otherwise have never owned one.

the mini 9 with osx is illegal and SLOW....

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
really?

mba for travel...nothing else, the air is as fast as the 15" mbp people that say otherwise have never owned one.

Just wait until your hinge breaks. :) Then you will understand what those of us who have owned Airs are talking about when we say it is more fragile then a MBP or many netbooks.

Violation of Apples EULA for OSX is a civil issue, not a criminal one. And its validity in a court of law is far from certain.

The mini9 would be more then fast enough for the uses the OP describes.

The MBA can be a great machine for someone who demands light weight and portability. But that doesnt make it perfect for every situation. Automatically recommending it simply because you like it and it works for you is doing the OP a great disservice.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I highly recommend the MBA. They are a thing of beauty. However, they are fast (with SSD), solid, and have a full sized keyboard. It runs OS X without problems or legality issues. The MBA was made for the type of use you have in mind.

Good luck and safe travels...

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Just wait until your hinge breaks. :) Then you will understand what those of us who have owned Airs are talking about when we say it is more fragile then a MBP or many netbooks.

Violation of Apples EULA for OSX is a civil issue, not a criminal one. And its validity in a court of law is far from certain.

The mini9 would be more then fast enough for the uses the OP describes.

The MBA can be a great machine for someone who demands light weight and portability. But that doesnt make it perfect for every situation. Automatically recommending it simply because you like it and it works for you is doing the OP a great disservice.

installing software thats retail and you have not paid for is stealing , modifying source code without the authors permission is also criminally illegal.

both of those are done when you install osx on the mini 9.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
The sad reality is that families in places I go to won't make enough to afford a MBA even in two years. That's how it is. That being said, I don't think the reaction towards my MBP, potential MBA, or Dell Mini will have significant differences. So I don't want to endure a Dell Mini just to "fit in". And in the event that it gets stolen, big deal, I'm covered by renters insurance.

People have raised concerns of durability. While this is of importance, I'll have applecare so if there are hinge problems, i can get it addressed for the first three years. after that the machine may be obsolete anyways.

Battery length is an issue I didn't think about.... That is a big advantage for the MBP.

In terms of computational power, i think 2ghz is my minimum, which rules out the dell mini.

The fact that the ram isn't upgradable is also a big minus for the MBA. 2gb will seem pretty paltry in a couple of years.....

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm still on the fence, however...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
it is stronger if you drop it.

Really? I never read about any "durability" trials between the MBP and MBA.

To the OP, the MBA is incredible for travel. It's really nice having such a thin and light machine that does everything you need it to. Moreover, the last thing I would call the MBA is fragile. It would "physically" outlast any $300 netbook. If you're worried about getting it stolen/damaged, then you can get a netbook instead. However, that doesn't seem to be a concern to you since you have traveler's insurance.

Have a safe trip!

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
While this is of importance, I'll have applecare so if there are hinge problems, i can get it addressed for the first three years. after that the machine may be obsolete anyways.

I think the idea here is that Apple refuses to cover it in certain cases --even if you have Applecare as it's considered "physical damage" rather than "poor construction". Had it happen to a friend and he had to pay $600 he said to have it fixed.

Nonetheless, I'd recommend getting the Air for what you do. Though, if you're going to tropical climates I don't know how the Air will like all that heat :eek:

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The MBP covers all bases and then some for you. I've spent enough time with a Rev B MBA to know the hinge is the weak link it it's design. Aside from the fact a new MBP's batter will last 2x that of the MBA, if you should need the CD drive, USB ports etc... why not have them with you at all times vs carrying yet more gear. Yes the MBP is 1lb more but it's at least all connected in my opinion a much more rigid MBP.

It seems since your going to rural area's where battery life may be important going for the best/longest battery life would be a concern.

There is always the "list" haha, put down what you need the laptop to do then list the pro's and con's for each.

Battery, weight, drives, connections etc...

Good Luck as I have been thru that choice twice in the recent months, first time went with the MBA Rev B as I was just taken in by the "cool" factor, after using it daily for close to 6 months, realized the MBP was the one for me by far. While I didn't have any technical break downs with the MBA, the hinge had become loose in only about 90 days where it moved way more then I thought it would and frankly felt kinda cheap considering the money Apple charges for them at the time.

Good Luck with your trip and decision, hope all goes well.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Yes the MBP is 1lb more but it's at least all connected in my opinion a much more rigid MBP.

2.5lbs more rather; I think that's a significant weight reduction. But you're right about having all the peripherals inside, assuming he's going to be needing to use CDs/DVDs on his trip, which I don't think he did,

maroulis

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I would recommend the 13inch MBP instead. Even though the air is very light the MBP isnt much heavier. It will have more power and since your going to 3rd world countries you get 7 hour battery life and it is stronger if you drop it.

much heavier? we're talking 3 vs 4.5lbs.. This is my issue why I'm with MBA, the 15 MBP is 5.5lbs so it's better functionality/weight ratio compared to 13" MBP

I had a rev A MBA w/80GB HDD and recently switched to rev C MBA w/128GB SSD and I'm loving every minute of it :)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
2.5lbs more rather; I think that's a significant weight reduction. But you're right about having all the peripherals inside, assuming he's going to be needing to use CDs/DVDs on his trip, which I don't think he did,

If were splitting hairs at least get the facts right :D 13" MBA is 3.0 LBS, 13" MBP according to Apple's site is 4.5, so it is a 1.5 LB diff, not 2.5. We were both wrong, I should have checked myself ;)

And yes he didn't mention needing a CD/DVD, another thought I took into account was if I'm traveling the world, I'm probably taking video and pictures, maybe he will upload everything, if not the MBP can provide up to 500 gigs of storage vs 128gig cap on the MBA. He may not but was also something I thought about/considered when responding.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
If were splitting hairs at least get the facts right :D 13" MBA is 3.0 LBS, 13" MBP according to Apple's site is 4.5, so it is a 1.5 LB diff, not 2.5. We were both wrong, I should have checked myself ;)

And yes he didn't mention needing a CD/DVD, another thought I took into account was if I'm traveling the world, I'm probably taking video and pictures, maybe he will upload everything, if not the MBP can provide up to 500 gigs of storage vs 128gig cap on the MBA. He may not but was also something I thought about/considered when responding.

actually I don't think it's a big deal. Even in Kathmandu, Nepal, i remember that almost every photo shop has a service where they take stuff off your computer with a usb stick and burn a cd for you.

With recording video, I'll need an external storage drive regardless of which computer I end up using.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
really?

Yes I own a MBA and it's by far my favorite computer. However i wouldn't even take it to gym (like I did with the rugged thinkpad x61) let alone out in the field, given how fragile it is.
There's nothing illegal about installing a program I paid for on a computer I like

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
installing software thats retail and you have not paid for is stealing , modifying source code without the authors permission is also criminally illegal.

both of those are done when you install osx on the mini 9.

You buy the retail copy of OSX so you did pay for it. You do not modify any source code when you install it...

edit: *points to your sig* You have a Mini9 with OSX?

Anyway as a MBA owner I agree that you probably won't want to use it in the field. You are more than welcome to try however, might give me more confidence about my MBA. But from my experience a MSI Wind will take more abuse than the MBA.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I think the MBA would be ideal for your uses EXCEPT for the fact that the battery life is less than ideal. If you're sure that you will never need to use it for more than four hours or so between charges, go for it!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I would take a decent Netbook. You could replace it is there was a problem.

They are becoming the tool of choice for globe trotters (like pilots,etc.)

makes sense.

Don't get fancy. ;)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
actually I don't think it's a big deal. Even in Kathmandu, Nepal, i remember that almost every photo shop has a service where they take stuff off your computer with a usb stick and burn a cd for you.

With recording video, I'll need an external storage drive regardless of which computer I end up using.

That's great, I hope you have a shop close to do that, I would however take your own USB drives if you buy the Air because not all USB drives will even fit in the USB port if they are not in a slim case (yet something else to deal with). So the AIR means you need to figure out which USB drive will fit due to the MBA's case design, then pay someone to copy your media to a CD, which if you need access to that CD you will need to carry the external CD drive as well (so much for saving weight).

MBP = take some DVD's with you burn em yourself. Prior to leaving the states put a 500 gig HDD which will hold 40+ hours of HD video, thousands of pics and download to DVD whenever you wish and have full access to all of your media anytime, anywhere.

One last thought considering you will have external HDD for video as you stated, MBP has Firewire 800 for fast transfers vs the MBA with USB only. MBP with a internal 500 gig drive + 2.5" external at 500 gig in a FW 800 case is pretty mobile setup with 1TB of storage. While I've not traveled outside the states on my motorcycle, I've traveled thousands of miles packing everything for 2 people on into 3 bags and a few storage compartments. I loved having my original 07 Macbook and it only had a 250gig drive. Since we were always in the states I didn't worry to much about finding DVD's or parts should I need another external drive, but even now I just prefer the "all in one" features the MBP now offers.

Cost not being a factor I assume, the MBP may not be as "sexy" it's just more practical, but hey your the one that has to be happy with it, so hope you decide and and everything works out great :)

Psychmike

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
I'm sure you understand your needs better than I do but let me weigh in with the following:

1) Power. Depending on where you are going, access to electricity may be a significant issue. The new Macbook Pros have phenomenal battery life. Getting a net book (which can use a lot less power with a smaller screen and SDD drive) and a couple of extra batteries may work as well. In my opinion, the Macbook Air seems like the least diserable option with a non-replaceable smallish battery. Also, some places sell solar trickle chargers.

2) Data security. Depending on where you are going, access to the internet for uploading may be an issue. My sister traveled for 6 months in South America and regularly mailed back canisters of film so in case her bag was lost or stolen, she'd only lose her most recent photographs. In any case, I would buy a few cheap USB keys or burn some CDs and regularly mail them back home with your photos / blogs.

Good luck and safe travels.

You didn't ask, but my humble advice regarding travel aborad to help others is that you can do far, far more working closer to home. There is great value in directly connecting and communicating and sharing your travel experiences with the world but the income you can earn here and the cost of travel often greatly exceeds the value of labour that you can do there. Just my 2 cents but I definitely, definitely understand that seeing people's stories and sharing them helps us all to open our hearts as well.

Looking forward to seeing your trip photos! Give us the web address of your blog!

Best,
Michael

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
One important thing that I forgot to mention about the MBA...it takes a LONG time (3-4 hours) to fully charge up the battery. This is a big handicap you may get if you go with the MBA. The new battery in MBP is years ahead of the one in MBA, in terms of the technology it uses

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.