Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
I only possess two Apple devices (iPhone and Macbook) and as I will be traveling with both devices, I was wondering what would happen in the event that I lost/got my two devices stolen.

I want to make sure that my data is protected more than anything else.

- I use a strong password for my Apple ID. I do not know it by heart but it's written down somewhere home on hard paper
- All my passwords are stored in Keychain.
- I just know the passcodes for both my devices by heart
- I have one recovery contact set up but there is a system glitch known by Apple as it shows as "not available" even though the other person received my invitation and accepted it (I also received the notification that the recovery contact accepted my request but it still shows as not available on iOS).

Knowing the above, I would assume that breaking in my account would be tough (unless I am kidnapped or held at gunpoint) but I was also wondering if it would also be hard for me to retrieve my iCloud/Apple ID account in the scenario I lost both devices? I have a recovery contact but I am not sure it will actually work (as the Apple system glitches). Would you also say that enabling ADP is way too risky for me as I might lose my data? Should I also add a recovery key and if yes what is the benefit of it as I already wrote my Apple ID password down?

Thank you all.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I hope you are not going to this country for a vacation:eek:
I would have both devices lockdown time really short and your Apple ID should be something you know without having to write it down. Then if the device(s) are stolen, you can get on a computer and wipe both. That's what I do :)

Reactions: thomasparra

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
I hope you are not going to this country for a vacation:eek:
I would have both devices lockdown time really short and your Apple ID should be something you know without having to write it down. Then if the device(s) are stolen, you can get on a computer and wipe both. That's what I do :)
Thanks. Would not Apple send a verification code to my Apple devices if I do that? If this is the case I would still be locked out of my account as all my Apple devices would be lost

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.