Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Headed to Italy in just over a month and have a few questions I've never dealt with before. I plan on getting the new iPhone 14. Will this inhibit my ability to use an esim since my phone isn't "unlocked" (going through the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program). Anything I need to be aware of with dual sims?

Thanks for any info or help!

I believe if you want to use dual-sim your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, It would not work on a locked iPhone.

If your device is carrier-locked, you will not be able to use SIM cards from other carriers for the second SIM card. While you will still be allowed to have two plans from the same network carrier, you cannot use them for foreign networks or an alternative carrier.

The best option would be to get an unlocked iPhone.

More info about it is below.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I believe if you want to use dual-sim your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, It would not work on a locked iPhone.

If your device is carrier-locked, you will not be able to use SIM cards from other carriers for the second SIM card. While you will still be allowed to have two plans from the same network carrier, you cannot use them for foreign networks or an alternative carrier.

The best option would be to get an unlocked iPhone.

More info about it is below.

Aren't iPhones from Apple, through the iPhone Upgrade Program unlocked?

Aren't iPhones from Apple, through the iPhone Upgrade Program unlocked?
Yes, they are unlocked iPhones. Should be able to use it simultaneously.

1660329258363.png

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Yes, they are. I'm unsure what your question is in your OP though. What exactly are you asking?

I'm on the iPhone upgrade program - I am also on Verizon but only activate the phone there. With me being on the IUP and purchasing my phone directly through Apple, will it be unlocked? Even when I activate it on Verizon? I just want to make sure I can have dual sims when I travel otherwise it's going to be a disaster.

I'm on the iPhone upgrade program - I am also on Verizon but only activate the phone there. With me being on the IUP and purchasing my phone directly through Apple, will it be unlocked? Even when I activate it on Verizon? I just want to make sure I can have dual sims when I travel otherwise it's going to be a disaster.
As long you got your iPhone through the iPhone upgrade program. Yes, it will be unlocked. Just to be safe I would check with the carrier and make sure everything is good.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Even if Verizon had locked your phone (which they should not have, as already noted), Verizon automatically unlocks all phones after 60 days of service.

Postpay Device Unlocking Policy

Devices that you purchase from Verizon are locked for 60 days after purchase. Devices that you purchase from our retail partners are locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock. Following the 60 day lock period, we do not lock our phones at any time.

Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy

Devices that you purchase from Verizon and certain devices purchased from our retail partners are locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock. Following the 60 day lock period following device purchase, we do not lock our phones at any time.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

Yes, it's specified on their website and confirmed for many years that iUP devices are unlocked. It's been discussed on many threads and mentioned on numerous articles written. It was one of their selling points. I can also personally confirm iUP devices are unlocked, regardless of who your carrier is. You can also ask Apple Support if you have specific technical questions.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
So how does a data only sim work? Never done this before and curious. Will I still have my USA number and can still iMessage and everything else or will it show a different number now? Are there settings I need to be aware of on my phone that need to be set?

There's no real good article on it.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
So how does a data only sim work? Never done this before and curious. Will I still have my USA number and can still iMessage and everything else or will it show a different number now? Are there settings I need to be aware of on my phone that need to be set?

There's no real good article on it.
i'm actually using this now. I'm back in new york visiting family and I live in Australia. i went to arlio and bought a data-only esim to use while here. It's been great so far except for the stupid amount of data being used on video and audio data calls. To be expected but I didn't realise how much is actually used till i used it. I also have access to my primary sim to receive SMS and calls if I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.