Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numanoids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Hi All

Looking for some advice, I'm travelling to the US for Xmas and bringing my cellular ipad air 2 with me. I have a couple of options it seems in terms of being able to use data.

Presently I have an EE contract sim but their roaming charges are exorbitant so I was thinking about using either a 3 UK sim (who don't have roaming charges if using an allowance) or using my AppleSIM and using either Sprint or T-Mobile.

I'm a bit confused about the offerings and I've not been able to get any pricing on the current plans that are available. I'm only going to be there 6 nights so obviously won't need a month's worth of allowance but if it would be cost effective to do that I may consider it.

3 seem to think that using their 'feel at home' service (read: no roaming charge) would actually be slower than in the UK but I did use it earlier this year and it seemed pretty good.

If anyone can offer some advice either from the UK or from the US I'd appreciate it.

cheers folks

Num

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Looking for some advice, I'm travelling to the US for Xmas and bringing my cellular ipad air 2 with me. I have a couple of options it seems in terms of being able to use data.
There are so many free Wi-Fi networks here, you may find that you don't need cellular data at all, depending on where exactly you'll be visiting. Most hotels/motels have Wi-Fi included.

numanoids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
There are so many free Wi-Fi networks here, you may find that you don't need cellular data at all, depending on where exactly you'll be visiting. Most hotels/motels have Wi-Fi included.

Thanks for the response. I'm staying in NYC and the hotel does have wifi although I have to show them a page on their app in order to get it for free.

I'm thinking it might be more useful for being out and about and wanting to message folks and the like. I've been before and I've seen how many networks there are but a lot of them I wasn't able to get onto which is why I was thinking about having a cellular connection so i can browse and check things.

Thanks again

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Hi All

Presently I have an EE contract sim but their roaming charges are exorbitant so I was thinking about using either a 3 UK sim (who don't have roaming charges if using an allowance) or using my AppleSIM and using either Sprint or T-Mobile.

I'm a bit confused about the offerings and I've not been able to get any pricing on the current plans that are available. I'm only going to be there 6 nights so obviously won't need a month's worth of allowance but if it would be cost effective to do that I may consider it.

3 seem to think that using their 'feel at home' service (read: no roaming charge) would actually be slower than in the UK but I did use it earlier this year and it seemed pretty good.

If anyone can offer some advice either from the UK or from the US I'd appreciate it.

cheers folks

Num

Where in the US are you going? If it's a big/major city, TMO is probably your best bet. Closest to the kinds of offerings you get in the UK. I have a 3 SIM also (because I also travel to the UK) and if you don't need blazing fast LTE all the time, it's still pretty good! I get HSPA+ roaming on TMobile here in NYC. I don't use it all the time. But I keep it active on my 2nd phone since I don't get charged extra now between trips. So I can still text with people using my UK #.

If you're going to a smaller city, I've found Verizon's prepaid iPad data plan to be a better value than AT&T's. And yes, you should be able to use it if you get a Verizon SIM.

numanoids

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
Where in the US are you going? If it's a big/major city, TMO is probably your best bet. Closest to the kinds of offerings you get in the UK. I have a 3 SIM also (because I also travel to the UK) and if you don't need blazing fast LTE all the time, it's still pretty good! I get HSPA+ roaming on TMobile here in NYC. I don't use it all the time. But I keep it active on my 2nd phone since I don't get charged extra now between trips. So I can still text with people using my UK #.

Thanks to all for replies so far folks, its very much appreciated.

I'm thinking I'll end up sticking the 3 Sim in there and roaming, I did that in March when in Hoboken for work and worked ok, just wondered if there were any advantages to sticking with a domestic PAYG plan

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks to all for replies so far folks, its very much appreciated.

I'm thinking I'll end up sticking the 3 Sim in there and roaming, I did that in March when in Hoboken for work and worked ok, just wondered if there were any advantages to sticking with a domestic PAYG plan

For just 6 days, I think you'll be fine. But as a back up you can bring the Apple SIM and activate it just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.