Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mypyh4ooo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Treated myself to some Airpods Max for my 30th which will be delivered tomorrow! I am having some issues with the noise cancellation on my current Airpods Pro so i'm hoping these blow me away! :)

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
About AirPods Pro NC - I recommend to check them by Apple.
Mine had rattlegate on left earbud but after both were replaced I heard way better NC and sound. I think replacement program is still available.

Also someone before me had some problems with AirPods Max few weeks after he bought them. Personally did not had a possibility to test them but they are told to be very good purchase but pricy :)

Have fun with them… and Happy 30s! from 92” team :)

Attachments

• EF7A5B32-19B4-448E-B6D7-C89E616E3CB7.jpeg
    EF7A5B32-19B4-448E-B6D7-C89E616E3CB7.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Treated myself to some Airpods Max for my 30th which will be delivered tomorrow! I am having some issues with the noise cancellation on my current Airpods Pro so i'm hoping these blow me away! :)
I really love mine! The sound is excellent and that is coming from a guy who uses midFI cabled headphones with external DACs and headphone amplifiers. The ease in which they connect to my M1 MacMini, iPhone, and iPad Pro make them worthwhile over other brands IMHO.

I’m going overseas soon, and have a 10 hour plane ride. I just wish they’d fold up for storage as I’m balancing my carry-on backpack space against my mirrorless camera equipment. I need to fit it all under the airline seat. I never seem to be able to find overhead bin storage…though I’m hesitant to let my equipment out of my sight anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: mypyh4ooo

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I love mine, but a small word of caution – when I first tried them (in the parking lot of the mall), I wasn't terribly impressed. I know a lot of people say they were immediately blown away, but that wasn't the case with me, and I considered walking right back into the Apple Store and returning them (rather than waiting a few weeks, since I was already there, and I live about 45 minutes away). Glad I didn't, because after listening for another few hours, I quickly became accustomed to them, love them now, and I have used them nearly every day since then (which was launch day).

mypyh4ooo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
About AirPods Pro NC - I recommend to check them by Apple.
Mine had rattlegate on left earbud but after both were replaced I heard way better NC and sound. I think replacement program is still available.

Also someone before me had some problems with AirPods Max few weeks after he bought them. Personally did not had a possibility to test them but they are told to be very good purchase but pricy :)

Have fun with them… and Happy 30s! from 92” team :)
Thank you! 90s kid def sounds better! Haha

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Got mine delivered yesterday. They are indeed superb. The sound quality really is top-notch and throwing in 6 months free to Apple Music is very clever as I just cancelled my Spotify Premium account as Apple have really spent time and effort coding the songs on AM to work with Spatial Audio and Lossless sound and many popular albums are part of their Digital Masters group. Several youtube videos have shown how and why the music is better sounding on AM. Just note, that to access lossless you need to have a wired connection to your device, it won't work over Bluetooth.

The ANC is really first-rate and as you have no doubt seen, the transparency mode is seriously well done and there is no decrease in music quality when it's on. I've seen other reviewers saying to get the best sound on APM turn off ANC and Transparency. I'm not noticing a huge difference though when doing that.

The first thing to do is make the well-publicised tweaks to your devices. In Music settings hit EQ and select Late Night.

Then in Accessibility, go down to Audio/Visual and click Headphone Accommodations to on and set the 'Tune Audio For' to Balanced Tone and the setting below that to 'Moderate'. These tweaks make an incredible difference.

In Music Settings on iPhone/iPad, don't bother clicking 'Lossless' Audio under 'Audio Quality'. And don't do it on your Mac either unless you're going to be wiring your APM to your Mac.

You'll have a lot of fun setting the phones up to work the way you like and it will change your appreciation of music if you're becoming from lower down phones.

Oh and yes, the build quality is seriously impressive and all that, the case is a bit of a joke but it is what it is. But the main reason you get these phones is for the sound.

Last edited:

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
Got mine delivered yesterday. They are indeed superb. The sound quality really is top-notch and throwing in 6 months free to Apple Music is very clever as I just cancelled my Spotify Premium account as Apple have really spent time and effort coding the songs on AM to work with Spatial Audio and Lossless sound and many popular albums are part of their Digital Masters group. Several youtube videos have shown how and why the music is better sounding on AM. Just note, that to access lossless you need to have a wired connection to your device, it won't work over Bluetooth.

The ANC is really first-rate and as you have no doubt seem, the transparency mode is seriously well done and there is no decrease in music quality when it's on. I've seen other reviewers saying to get the best sound on APM turn off ANC and Transparency. I'm noticing a huge difference though when doing that.

The first thing to do is make the well-publicised tweaks to your devices. In Music settings hit EQ and select Late Night.

Then in Accessibility, go down to Audio/Visual and click Headphone Accommodations to on and set the 'Tune Audio For' to Balanced Tone and the setting below that to 'Moderate'. These tweaks make an incredible difference.

In Music Settings on iPhone/iPad, don't bother clicking 'Lossless' Audio under 'Audio Quality'. And don't do it on your Mac either unless you're going to be wiring your APM to your Mac.

You'll have a lot of fun setting the phones up to work the way you like and it will change your appreciation of music if you're becoming from lower down phones.

Oh and yes, the build quality is seriously impressive and all that, the case is a bit of a joke but it is what it is. But the main reason you get these phones is for the sound.
Where did you get your headphones?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I use mine for about 8-10 hours a day since they were released. I love them. I have three separate pairs of ear cups and rotate them out for cleaning and a third for backup. One of the best headphones I have ever used (I hate earbuds they hurt my ears after a good 20 minutes)

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Where did you get your headphones?

Off Amazon UK. Same offer if you buy from the Apple Store with reference to Apple Music. As soon as I paired them with the iPhone, the offer came up on the phone. I got the blue ones, there was a good discount on them.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I didn’t realize how good the APM is until I tried going back to my Sonys. They have a sound signature that resembles the big HomePod. So if you liked the way music sounded on the original HomePod you should be happy.

Reactions: Paninnguaq

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
If you need to ask this question after you’ve bought them (or any VERY expensive product), then you’ve gone about things in reverse order.

Personally, I think because they don’t support HD Audio, they’re not great value for money…

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I have had a lot of headphones and earbuds, like Samsung Earbuds, Bose QC35 II and QC45, Sony 1000XM3, B&W PX7 ?, B&O H95, Beats, Sennheiser and probably many more which I cant remember right now.

But none of those headphones doesnt come even near the sound quality that AirPods Max has, its stunning. And I have noticed some new sounds in many songs thanks to incredible coding on Apple Music that I havent noticed before.

For a bluetooth headphones the sound quality and sound stage is mind boggling incredible. AMPs are also super comfortable to use even longer periods of time, I know there are people who complained about the weight but to me this has not been an issue once, I dont even care that AMPs dont have a power button. Also AMPs can somehow keep all the instrument and vocals clear and crisp even when listening in low audio volume. Everything is perfectly balanced in AMPs, there id bass but not too much, violins and quitars are crisp but not too crips. Its perfection.

AMPs is where its at for bluetooth headphones, they look stunning, they sound stunning, zero hiccups.

PS: AMPs can get really loud, so pay attention to your hearing lol.

Reactions: Fravin

MLL63QNA

Cancelled
Mar 23, 2022
I love mine, but a small word of caution – when I first tried them (in the parking lot of the mall), I wasn't terribly impressed. I know a lot of people say they were immediately blown away, but that wasn't the case with me, and I considered walking right back into the Apple Store and returning them (rather than waiting a few weeks, since I was already there, and I live about 45 minutes away). Glad I didn't, because after listening for another few hours, I quickly became accustomed to them, love them now, and I have used them nearly every day since then (which was launch day).

I had similar experience, I didnt get the hype around them and in my opinion they sucked. But the longer I used them and listened different genres, I was like “jesus ****ing crist” these headphones are amazing.

The thing that got me offguard was the fact that I started hearing new sounds in songs that I loved, I was like is this how this song should sound or are my AMPs broken. Then I realized that AMPs are so good and so well built and optimized that I kept hearing songs in a different way that Ive never heard before. And all of this is done via bluetooth. My reaction: ?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL

The ANC is really first-rate and as you have no doubt seem, the transparency mode is seriously well done and there is no decrease in music quality when it's on. I've seen other reviewers saying to get the best sound on APM turn off ANC and Transparency. I'm noticing a huge difference though when doing that.

Thanks so much for this post. I just got my APM this week and followed your directions on set up exactly. They sound fabulous and you saved me a ton of time figuring this out on my own. Really appreciate the guidance!!!!

Reactions: OW22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.