Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

It seems more and more people are moving away from the bug infested 14 Pro (Max) to the much simpler and more reliable 13 mini. I have a 13 mini and I'm perfectly happy with it. So I'm not surprised.

Will this trend even bring back the mini form factor? šŸ™šŸ»
I love my 13 mini dearly, but surely these 14 PM users would move to a regular 6.1ā€ iphone 13 as they would be used to larger screens right? Unless of course they really want the smaller, lighter and one handed form factor.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I love my 13 mini dearly, but surely these 14 PM users would move to a regular 6.1ā€ iphone 13 as they would be used to larger screens right? Unless of course they really want the smaller, lighter and one handed form factor.
We would think that, but it's the mini for some reason. Maybe minimalism is appealing, in vogue, suddenly?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
We would think that, but it's the mini for some reason. Maybe minimalism is appealing, in vogue, suddenly?
................or maybe a carefully crafted sales approach to either move a lot of surplus minis or test the market for future production of another mini size phone. People that have been sitting on the wall tend to buy a lot of stuff that appears to be going out of production.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
................or maybe a carefully crafted sales approach to either move a lot of surplus minis or test the market for future production of another mini size phone. People that have been sitting on the wall tend to buy a lot of stuff that appears to be going out of production.
That would presuppose that a lot of YouTubers are in it together, orchestrated by someone. A bit far-fetched, IMO.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
That would presuppose that a lot of YouTubers are in it together, orchestrated by someone. A bit far-fetched, IMO.
I went from mini to 14 pro. I should make a post, ā€œmillions of people moving from 13 mini to 14 pro.ā€

YouTubers in the last few years have loved the mini. But that doesnā€™t translate to sales given the mini is such a low selling product. I get surprised when I see one in person.

Oh and I was in Japan as well last month. Japan is a huge apple market and one of the biggest outside the USA. I saw zero iPhone mini. ZERO. And Iā€™m a phone nerd so I noticed that phones people used on the Tokyo subway. I saw plenty for iPhone 6-2nd gen se, many 11s. And also 12-14 generations.

Itā€™s funny. I love the 13 mini but I notice we are a hard core group but we do not represent the majority of people who see the price of the mini, compare the value and for just $50 on the used market or $100 new they can buy a larger more versatile screen. Because I donā€™t know about you but reading PDFs on the mini is a huge pain in the eyes.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
14 Pro isnā€™t bug infested?! You see complaints on dedicated forums because they are tech fansā€¦ there are millions in daily usage without any issues.

The mini is a great phone, but it wonā€™t come back as what do you expect them to do? Sales figures were poor, the internals are already rammed in without any spare room so upgrades are not possible (yet) and the 13 mini is still sold new by Apple. If people want one, they can buy thatā€¦

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
14 Pro isnā€™t bug infested?! You see complaints on dedicated forums because they are tech fansā€¦ there are millions in daily usage without any issues.

The mini is a great phone, but it wonā€™t come back as what do you expect them to do? Sales figures were poor, the internals are already rammed in without any spare room so upgrades are not possible (yet) and the 13 mini is still sold new by Apple. If people want one, they can buy thatā€¦
Right. We have both models in the house abcs our pro and pro max are fine. No bugs.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I used a mini during my travel last month for a few days. It was hard with promotion. Itā€™s pretty noticeable now that Iā€™m used to the 14 pro. And I like AOD display. Useful for keep track of scores, or controlling music on the Lock Screen. Or even Uber rides.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Great to see the mini becoming popular again. Sure, itā€™s not for everybody, but for me the mini is closest to a ā€œminimalist phoneā€ that has great features but can still be used with intentionality.
It helps me to keep my screen time in check and is great to carry around in my pocket. Could not imagine where a large phone would go if I am not taking a bag while on the go.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Great to see the mini becoming popular again. Sure, itā€™s not for everybody, but for me the mini is closest to a ā€œminimalist phoneā€ that has great features but can still be used with intentionality.
It helps me to keep my screen time in check and is great to carry around in my pocket. Could not imagine where a large phone would go if I am not taking a bag while on the go.
Who is buying the mini? Lol itā€™s just a YouTuber! Iā€™m fan of the mini but Iā€™m not delusional to think mini is a great purchase and people are buying it when a larger screen phone can be bought for a few dollars more. Most people think about the screen ratio and dollar amount to upsize the screen. No one is buying the mini. Its why Apple discontinued it and I rarely ever see it in the wild. Itā€™s rare apple iPhone.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Who is buying the mini? Lol itā€™s just a YouTuber! Iā€™m fan of the mini but Iā€™m not delusional to think mini is a great purchase and people are buying it when a larger screen phone can be bought for a few dollars more. Most people think about the screen ratio and dollar amount to upsize the screen. No one is buying the mini. Its why Apple discontinued it and I rarely ever see it in the wild. Itā€™s rare apple iPhone.
I am happily using my 13 mini on a daily basis and I am not a YouTuber.
Totally understand that it is not for everybody and, actually, I am happy to be in the minority of small iPhone users. At the moment, many people are questioning themselves if they really want to spend their life with such an excessive use of their phones. Some might opt for a smaller phone as a measure to reduce ones screen time. Let's see... As always, YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.