Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff__100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2024
Texas
Hello, I am trying to Have 3 different installs on my mac book pro (2014 mid). I have been able to use and install Mavericks; I have installed windows 7 normally with mavericks. Everything had worked, until I tried to install Catalina. I want to boot from windows 7 as my main os, Mavericks as my 2nd, and any other Mac os that can run the current version of Final cut pro, and compressor.

Here is the process of events.

I have installed Osx Mavericks, then windows 7 with the boot camp installer. (I had to installer the drivers by hand, and delete the applessd.sys file from system 32, not part of any problem, but something to take note of just in case). Both os’s are working normal. I then try to resize my primary mac partition from 60 gigs to 25, after that I install Mac os Catalina on the new space I have created. I select the Catalina os at boot time, and notice that the windows boot option is missing. I go back and try to use the boot camp installer in mavericks. I get the error message saying I can install windows onto the disk as it’s not one single partition. I know that the boot camp installer uses something called a “uefi mbr hybrid” partition scheme, and I’m not too sure how it works. I would assume it changes something in the boot loader to show that windows is Available. I have check my dis, and the partition is still there, with all the data too (don’t worry about any personal files, I don’t have any on the entire pc).

So, my question if windows 7 can been installed to a mac book pro that has a different partition scheme then what the boot camp installer wants, being able to boot more then 2 different os’s.

My other question is if can Windows 7 be installed onto a different disk then just mavericks. I would assume you could copy the boot camp installer from mavericks to a newer mac os, (That does not use the APFS, and does use HFS). As I assume that the installer would have trouble installing anything on a non Hfs disk.

My last question is if windows 7 can be installed in Uefi mode. Without using bootcamp. I have installed windows 7 in uefi before, but not on a Mac. Would this be possible?

My goal is to try and Try boot all 3 os's. I thank everyone who can help me, and answers my questions.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
There maybe a conflict of having two different Apple OS in your system. It maybe apples programming that only allows one Apple OS and one Microsoft via bootcamp. You may have to just have to install the most the other Apple OS a zipdrive or external HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.