Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
So I was browsing through the newest listings on MacUpdate dot com and saw something called Tribler that was some type of BitTorrent client that is using some kind of TOR-like system for complete anonymity. The rundown on MacUpdate said this:

Tribler is a different BitTorrent client. It gives you:​
  • Fast content search
  • Wiki-style channels
  • Video-on-demand support
  • Fully decentralized
  • No ads
Tribler is an application that enables its users to find, enjoy, and share content. By content, we mean video, audio, pictures, and much more. Tribler has three goals in helping you, the user:​
  • Find content:
    • Keyword search: Through our improved search functionality you search in content of other Tribler users, and in content of big video Web portals such as Youtube and Liveleak.
    • Browse in different categories: You can browse through different categories as video, audio, pictures, etc. You can also see what is most popular and what is made available recently. All these functionalities will definitely help you in finding something you like.
    • See what friends and taste neighbors like: By making friends and getting in touch with users with similar taste you can find content that you might find interesting. You yourself can also show to your friends what you like and what they definitely should see.
  • Consume content: Because of the integrated video and audio player you can almost immediately start watching your favorite video(s) or listen to your favorite song(s).
  • Share content: Tribler is a social application. This means you can make friends with other users and you can show to everyone what you like and dislike. And by sharing your content you also help other Tribler users to enjoy their favorite content.
So I go to their website and read their description of what Tribler is, how and why it was developed, etc. It's open-source and was developed in an academic non-profit setting and they want people to adopt it.

Their website is https://www.tribler.org/

Unfortunately the app itself has a decidedly non-Mac-y user interface. It's obviously developed in something that they are probably using to make it easier to support multiple platforms, though I don't know what. I browsed inside the .app bundle to look for clues and the MacOS and Resources folders were both FULL of interesting items, but the only thing that stood out was a large amount of them had Qt in the name, so I am guessing they are built at least in part using that.

Just curious who else has seen this before. I would love for something like this to catch on because I have already goofed up more than once and downloaded things without my VPN and as a result got warning letters from the I.S.P. to notify me that [Major Hollywood Corporation] has determined that at [I.P. address] an item of copyrighted work [Name of whatever ("Barry S03E02")] was downloaded, Our records show that this I.P. address was assigned to you and ...... Further warnings and we may be forced to cancel your service.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
If you're worried about your ISP detecting ("lawyer-based attacks and censorship"?!) your illegal downloads you should probably subscribe to a VPN service with split-tunneling and run the service 24/7.

Tribler's own disclaimer:

Do not put yourself in danger. Our anonymous download feature is not yet broadly tested.

Anonymous downloading is a new feature, barely a year old. We are sharing the design and code so that the community can test and evaluate it. This helps us make sure that it’s as secure as it needs to be before people start relying on it.

Also, if you're concerned about content downloaded via torrent sites having malware attached to it you should run something like Malwarebytes frequently or have its paid version on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.