Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Can we make a post about ppl wanting to stay on Catalina and Avoiding the Big Sur update?

Certainly we must be many ppl batteling this with a passion in here.

It's insane Apple makes it so annoying to stay with Catalina, with all the constant notifications and annoyances that can't bet turned off... Esp. considering they have to keep Catalina updated for longer than any other systems before (due to the many models that was also outdated with Big Sur, but will otherwise be well running machines for several years to come).

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Yup... I'm one who has zero interest in going to Big Sur.

Main tips I have is avoid browser plug-ins and monitor CPU utilization and average core temperatures. Monitoring a few stats is super-helpful as I can see immediately if something I've installed is a resource pig that needs to be culled.

Catalina has run fine for me and a couple of family members (two run early 2020 MBP 10th gen's and one 2017 MB).

I still run LightRoom 6.14 perpetual (which "runs" on Catalina though, it can only get there via migration from prior Mojave install).

I do not use other Apple devices.

I don't care about the Apple ecosystem, similar look and feel as with other Apple devices, ...

Last edited:

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah, totally agree, though It's not exactly like Carolina does not match the Apple ecosystem, it's been the top of that line just a month ago ... it's the shift that instead of having compatible systems that fits together (like Steve Jobs and Johnny Ive always argued for) they have to be "the same" ... that's an unprofessional approach IMO. The professional approach is the right tool for the right job, and the job of using a laptop or desktop is much diffrent than using an iphone or a tablet. I hate having to use my desktop like ppl use a tablet, just so they are "the same" ... the Carolina fits perfect into my apple ecosystem (and yes all my devices are apple, just not the very newest ones) ... I invest allot into apple, it's not fair I have to always buy the newest to stay in the game ... a professional craftsman does not buy the newest tools everytime a new black and decker comes out (that’s how consumers buy) he does it when it makes sense to him.

This entire shift is an apple shift from having a reputation of making devices for professionals, that due to their professionel status is also considered the best of the best for consumers... into kids toys for consumers.

Reactions: verylit

verylit

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
I own an iMac 2017 and an iPhone SE 1st generation. Big Sur and iOS 14 made me finally realize that what Apple is trying to do is to turn the computer into an appliance, at least within the reach of their "eco-system", and that Apple is openly, but implicitly hostile towards people like us, who want a computer, probably with the goal of making us drop their platforms as soon as possible.

This means that, unfortunately, we'd have to comply sooner or later. Naturally, I'd want to keep using my devices for as long as it is possible for me. Therefore, my strategy is as follows:
1. No software updates.
2. Really, no software updates. Even the "important" ones. Even if the vendor of a software uses scare tactics or begs you. Even if it's a supra-security update that makes the evil haxor go away. Even if the update adds some new feature that you've been dreaming of for the past 10 years.

On a side note, if you still use iOS 13 or earlier, consider yourself lucky. I wish that there was an easy way to go back to iOS 13.
3. The software should never be updated. This applies, obviously, to third-party software as well as the operating system and the software provided by Apple.

On a side note, keep in mind that the software will find a way to update itself if it has the ability to do so, ignoring any settings that you may have set. Therefore, this ability has to be physically removed. In practice, I deleted the softwareupdated binary from the system, Microsoft Auto Update binaries, etc.
4. Unfortunately, there is software that will "refuse" to work if not updated for some time, particularly any software that has "cloud" in its name, or is dependent on third-party APIs in order to function.

When the number of applications that I won't be able to use will be high enough for me not to notice, I will format the Mac OS volume and install some Linux distribution there. I will use a Windows VM for applications that are not available on Linux. Naturally, I'd keep my Bootcamp volume for gaming. Considering Mac-only applications, well, it'll be goodbye then, I'd have to invest time into finding Linux or Windows counterparts and learning how to use them.
5. Speaking about my iPhone, it is likely that it will break before I'd have any problems related to outdated iOS. When this happens, I'd buy an Android phone with some decent hardware, and install a customizable Android build on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heliotropen

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I think it’s also lazyness, instead or rewriting MacOS to use arm processors, they are almost merging iOS onto computers; as you say slowly turning the computer into an appliance.

Steve Jobs would have turned in his grave.

In a few years Apple will be the Mattel of computers, their original vision long forgotten... and most brandvalue will be totally gone. Im glad I didn’t have that Apple Tattoo a few years back anyways.

It will be computing for kids and seniors who does not know how to even send a text.

Already now there is room for a serious competitor, I hope IBM or Amazon or someone else sees the posibilities and becomes the go to brand for Design Professionals (let’s see what happens).

Reactions: verylit

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
If you get a Mac that is officially supported for Catalina but doesn't officially support Big Sur that would be one way to easily stay on Catalina.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
If you get a Mac that is officially supported for Catalina but doesn't officially support Big Sur that would be one way to easily stay on Catalina.
I have one of those, but my MacBook Pro is a mod 2014.
It supports Big Sur, but though I didnt like the experience of it at all.
Was like a MacOS for babies and senior citizents, and slow also.

Tried to like it, wanted to, but just hated it.

Last edited:

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
forget crapalina. still on mojave and enjoying rock solid stability
Well Catalina have been 100% stabile on both my machines for a year.
I do like the automatic darkmode shifter.
Also I dont use any 32 bit apps.

Any reason why I would go all the way back to Mojave then?
- Which runs fastest M vs C?
- How long will M be updated and safe to use compared to C?

Last edited:

robertcailliau

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2021
:)
I would have said that the last system in which I was very productive was Snow Leopard. It was rock solid and did everything I needed. I still don't need more. Since then it has been a downward slope.
But I do need much less interference from Apple in how I do things.

Here is a question to which I hope someone has an answer: How do I get a more saturated highlight color? It seems that Catalina always washes it out, no matter what you do. I go into System Preferences ->General ->Highlight Color: "Other" and set mine to rgb 255,255,0 which is yellow. But Catalina then somehow sets it to 255,255,180 which is very light yellow. If I set it to 0,255,0 which is green, I get 180,155,180.

Anyone know where I can set it to what I want?

Robert.

"Before we reach the mountains of Artificial Intelligence we will need to cross the desert of the half-witted applications"
(Robert's Third Law of Computing)

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
:)
I would have said that the last system in which I was very productive was Snow Leopard. It was rock solid and did everything I needed. I still don't need more. Since then it has been a downward slope.
But I do need much less interference from Apple in how I do things.

Here is a question to which I hope someone has an answer: How do I get a more saturated highlight color? It seems that Catalina always washes it out, no matter what you do. I go into System Preferences ->General ->Highlight Color: "Other" and set mine to rgb 255,255,0 which is yellow. But Catalina then somehow sets it to 255,255,180 which is very light yellow. If I set it to 0,255,0 which is green, I get 180,155,180.

Anyone know where I can set it to what I want?

Robert.

"Before we reach the mountains of Artificial Intelligence we will need to cross the desert of the half-witted applications"
(Robert's Third Law of Computing)
One of the reasons I'm using Apple, actually is that I always liked their way to to thing and their workflows.
When I moved to apple from linux and windows, these workflows saved me so much time.

It's mostly that now apple is moving from a professional minimalistic system and workflows into an "do it all" children bling bling toy ... I'm fine with it on my iphone and ipad actually... it works fine there ... but not on my macs.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
we get temp office help we dont like sometimes.

make thiem use the MBP with the butterfly keyboard

they dont come back.

apple would do better financing a movie; Frozen 5 or something soft like that

Furka

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Well Catalina have been 100% stabile on both my machines for a year.
I do like the automatic darkmode shifter.
Also I dont use any 32 bit apps.

Any reason why I would go all the way back to Mojave then?
- Which runs fastest M vs C?
- How long will M be updated and safe to use compared to C?

Hi, there is a little app that could help you on dark mode shift : Nightowl - https://nightowl.kramser.xyz/ . You do not need to upgrade to Catalina for that.

star trek

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2013
Hello Everyone have a good Day !!! Running a Hackintosh Catalina Updated on HP Z440 Workstation Good to the latest version available and reading about problems with Security Banking Safari ecc ecc I have installed with parallels Monterey to the latest available version and keep so on.....If I Navigate with Safari from Monterey go and do Banking and anything else Am I Protected as I were on Monterey Original ...!?!?!? .I could install even Ventura latest but dont do So Far because have read that have some problems....Please Let me Know Thks !!!!
If I think even the Most Banks are using Windows 10 that is not for sure the most tremendous piece of software giving Top Security could a not Updated to the latest Security patches Catalina let U Web and Banking in Security if not for other different reason that Money doesnt grow on Trees and Poisoned Apple knows It Very Well....!?!? Have a Good Day Everyone !!!!! :)

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hello Everyone have a good Day !!! Running a Hackintosh Catalina Updated on HP Z440 Workstation Good to the latest version available and reading about problems with Security Banking Safari ecc ecc I have installed with parallels Monterey to the latest available version and keep so on.....If I Navigate with Safari from Monterey go and do Banking and anything else Am I Protected as I were on Monterey Original ...!?!?!? .I could install even Ventura latest but dont do So Far because have read that have some problems....Please Let me Know Thks !!!!
If I think even the Most Banks are using Windows 10 that is not for sure the most tremendous piece of software giving Top Security could a not Updated to the latest Security patches Catalina let U Web and Banking in Security if not for other different reason that Money doesnt grow on Trees and Poisoned Apple knows It Very Well....!?!? Have a Good Day Everyone !!!!! :)
There is not likely to be a risk of using your banking in Catalina safari ...
But if it is a worry you have, why not install brave or chrome and do your banking there?

Its actually my clear view right now, that yes there is some security issues that is not addressed and will not be addressed in Catalina, but make no mistake about it, there is such in all OSes, it's unlikely they will effect you, if you are a bit careful ... it's the newer OS versions that really suffers with exploits and problems more than older versions, and they have to patch that for a longer time.

Just look at something like the Apple TV, you can jail break the newest for a long time it was impossible to jailbreak apple tv 3, though it was a long discontinued product.

An internet banking system, will have it's own code containers and such ... the security really happens on server level at the banks servers.

It's mostly scaring tactics to get ppl to upgrade ...

If there really was a big serious exploit, apple or the community would probably patch it, due to how many that is still on Catalina ... lots of great hardware can still not upgrade future than Catalina.

Reactions: star trek

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone else still holding on to Catalina? ... or am I the only one?

We are now an entire safari and other apps behind ... I experiences some Setapp Aps that won't install ... but most are good ...

Anyone having some tips to keep Catalina running?

Any way to path some of these newer apps and safari onto it?

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I got a Macbook Pro 2015 from work (have a windows but i prefer Mac Os). Little old but really love the design.

It supports Monterrey but man.. i just cant live in peace with that design. Just doesnt look great and since Google Drive is only working with Catalina and newer, welcome to Catalina for this Macbook. I hope that it will run with a better performance than Big Sur+ and that it will do what i need. Edge for personal browsing and Chrome for working browsing

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I got a Macbook Pro 2015 from work (have a windows but i prefer Mac Os). Little old but really love the design.

It supports Monterrey but man.. i just cant live in peace with that design. Just doesnt look great and since Google Drive is only working with Catalina and newer, welcome to Catalina for this Macbook. I hope that it will run with a better performance than Big Sur+ and that it will do what i need. Edge for personal browsing and Chrome for working browsing
I’m mostly working on my RMBP 2015 as well, just my favorite form factor and its fast enough for my use … though the newest is not that bad either (but hated MacBooks from 2015=> due to the keyboards, so I sold my 2018 and bought a refurbished 2015).

And I’m still on Catalina as well … Apple just hasn’t been the same since John Ive pulled back (and esp since he left).

I really hope they will reedem themselves with a good new MAC OS version soon and a perfect designed MacBook and 27” IMac.

Untill I’ll try to stick with Catalina on my RMBP and IMac as well: to me it’s like having an older Dieter Rams design chair instead of some new crap, my setup is slow hardware wise, but its beautiful and awesome to work on!

Also I hate how bad Apple has become at substainability: constantly pushing us to buy new and throw out the old.

Reactions: aespana

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Anyone else still holding on to Catalina? ... or am I the only one? We are now an entire safari and other apps behind ... I experiences some Setapp Aps that won't install ... but most are good... Any way to path some of these newer apps and safari onto it?
I'm still using Mojave (of which Catalina is the last iteration of the 32bit-capable and HFS+capable platform "early California" OS template, although Apple made it extremely cumbersome to reenable those features.)

Tips and observations:

1. Don't use Safari for anything. For the same reason you didn't use Internet Explorer in Windows. --Virus-writers and page-hijackers always target an OS's stock browser. On a Mac, use Firefox, Waterfox, Opera, Brave, and Vivaldi.

2. The biggest piece of malware on a Mac is Apple's own "security" software, which seems expressly designed to thrash drives (especially rotational drives) to pieces. This was a huge problem during the El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra arc during boot-up, when MRT ("malicious removal tool"), Spotlight indexing, and myriad launchdaomons were all hammering the boot drive simultaneously to point memory usage would skyrocket (forcing caching on the drive!) and the spinning-wheel-of-wait-forever became a common sight. Terminal tricks to disable both MRT and Spotlight solved many of these problems. Fortunately, Mojave seems to be largely trouble free in this regard.

3. Open Library > LauchAgents and LaunchDeamons. Drag any Adobe and Microsoft specimens to a neutral folder, and restart. (This will turn off a lot of irksome phone-home behavior in those apps.)

4. If you are not running 32bit apps from a fast HFS+ partition, I'm not seeing a great reason to cease upgrading at Catalina given that you've already forfeited the vast existing library of 32bit apps and are now stuck with mostly subscription-model software. (The stock photos of California scenery are still available, so you're not stuck with the ugly new background wallpapers from Big Sur onward.)

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I really hope they will reedem themselves with a good new MAC OS version soon and...

....I hate how bad Apple has become at substainability: constantly pushing us to buy new and throw out the old.
Your dream will never happen for reasons you've already spotted: Apple is now a bona-fide evil BigTech company, and has been for the better part of the last decade. Its original function of consumer electronics manufacturer is now just a skin-suit worn by a gargantuan data-collection combine. The Brave New World that evil BigTech envisions is one in which exactly 100% of your personal information is on "cloud" servers to be pawed at leisure by intelligence agencies, while leaving you with incrementally less and less useful features as time goes by. --Just wait until they remove USB ports entirely in the future. They will get around to it, and advertise this "feature" by claiming you should do everything wirelessly now. It's only been a decade, but people have already forgotten that they once used to make DVDs and Blu-Rays for backups. But in the Brave New Future, there will be no backups, because backups are memories, and memories are history, and you are not a perfectly moldable piece of feudal peasant dough if you can remember things and share them without Langley's vetting and permission.

Reactions: aespana
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.