Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
A while back the hard drive in my iBook G3 (700MHz) finally gave up the ghost. One day it just started clicking loudly and I got nothing but the flashing folder on boot.

I'd put off sorting it out but one day I spotted a compatible 2nd hand 60GB IDE HDD drive in CEX for €1 so I got it with the intent to replace. A while later again when I eventually go round to doing the job I was aghast to discover it wasn't as straightforward as I expected! I imagined it would be as simple as a 2011 MBP, just screw off the bottom plate and you're in. Boy was I wrong!

For anyone wanting to get an idea of how much of a pain in the *** it is to get to get this machine open you should take a quick look at the :eek: 44 step guide on iFixit.

IMG_2710.JPG

After a few hours of carefully slogging through far too many screws and scary plastic spudging without causing any permanent case damage, I got it all off.

IMG_2713.JPG

I managed to get all the way to the end and remove the culprit ageing original IBM drive. It did well to last this long in fairness.

IMG_2714.jpg

I then carefully slotted in the new Hitachi 60GB drive. I wasn't going to go reassembling it all to find out there was some problem so I left it dangling with the bear minimum needed to get it running. Didn't bother reconnecting the trackpad or keyboard so I just hooked up an iMac G3 hockey puck mouse and keyboard to see if the Tiger install would recognise the new drive.

IMG_2712.JPG

And success it did! I then set about doing the 4 CD Tiger install to make sure it was definitely all working fine. I wanted to be 101% certain before locking up Jony Ive's best attempt at Fort Knox once again. I can't believe this level of design awkwardness was necessary. Did they has an arrangement with a steel company to fit in as many screws as possible?

After several reboots for Tiger and Java updates the thing was back to mint condition. I gave 40GB to OS X and the remaining 15GB or so to Mac OS 9. Might install some old games like AOE II on it. Might seem funny to put all this effort into restoring a laptop I got on eBay for €1 with a "new" HDD for the same price, but with these old things it ain't about the bottom dollar!

dining 1.JPG patio 1.JPG

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My dislike for iBooks is well known around here.

What you just pulled off is the number one reason I dislike them. The amount of work it takes to replace something, and without breaking anything, isn't worth the return I get out of them considering their limitations compared to PowerBooks.

I've got an iBook G4 at home waiting for a DC-In board replacement. I have the part for it. But it just hasn't been worth it to me to fix it.

I just know I will break something.

So, good job and I commend your patience and perseverance.

Reactions: tevion5 and z970

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
What you just pulled off is the number one reason I dislike them. The amount of work it takes to replace something, and without breaking anything, isn't worth the return I get out of them considering their limitations compared to PowerBooks.

Thanks! 44 steps of plastic fiddling changes a man.

Agree I'd rather take apart/use my better built, faster, higher res DLSD any day over this.

dbdjre0143

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
West Virginia
I really wanted to put a newer HDD or perhaps an SSD in my iBook G4, but as soon as I saw the replacement procedure, I dropped that idea like a bad habit. :p Kudos to you for putting in the hard work!

Reactions: z970 and tevion5

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The later G4 iBooks are worse. The absolute nadir is the 12" PowerBook. Those fiddly aluminium parts can warp if not handled gently. Those of us who have been there feel your pain.
I…broke things the last time I repaired a 12" PB.

:(

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I really wanted to put a newer HDD or perhaps an SSD in my iBook G4, but as soon as I saw the replacement procedure, I dropped that idea like a bad habit. :p Kudos to you for putting in the hard work!

It is doable if you are patient. I did the last revision 12" iBook and PB G4 on subsequent days. It took me three hours start to finish for the iBook and six for the PowerBook. The PB involved a logic board replacement so there were more things to do and test. I went very slowly and methodically. I lost no screws nor broke anything. It felt like a real achievement. The problems start if you try to cut corners or force things because it is taking too long for you. I stopped often to reread every step of the iFixit guides and made sure I read every single comment on the steps first because those contained important addenda and tips from people who had tried to follow the guide before you did.

If the notebook has never been opened before, things are tougher because you need to loosen clips and catches that are very tight and snug fitting from the factory. Once you have got those open, every subsequent foray inside that laptop is easier.

I would really save this sort of thing for winter, tbh. Tempers rise with temperature and this heatwave isn't helping much.

I…broke things the last time I repaired a 12" PB. :(

It's summer in Arizona all year around, I suppose. I have a desktop in the loft in some distress that I am leaving for cooler days. It can wait.

Tugb0at

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
damn i dont think theyre too bad, i can do the g4 in about 30 minutes and maybe a little less for the g3, even my powerbook 12" i managed to do in about 45 minutes first time, ibooks ive done quite a few times however.

Reactions: AphoticD

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Good for you didnt toss that or give it away!

My MacBook g4 was easier, but 98 screws, so drawing an exact outlay of the MacBook on cardboard, I placed each screw where they came from in the ink Ifixit used. If that helps

Last edited by a moderator:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
damn i dont think theyre too bad, i can do the g4 in about 30 minutes and maybe a little less for the g3, even my powerbook 12" i managed to do in about 45 minutes first time, ibooks ive done quite a few times however.

Please pass your teachings on to me.

Tugb0at

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Please pass your teachings on to me.

its not as brittle as you think haha, and vinyl panel tools, and knowing when stuff will break but that experience comes elsewhere, anyways the most time consuming thing is taking off the back panel and organizing the screws, but after you do it alot it gets real easy.

Reactions: z970 and AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Congrats to the OP. I have a [12” iBook] G3 700 which has undergone about 6 or 7 tear downs in recent months. Three failed logic boards, a dc in board and a failed HDD. After the first few times I stopped needing the iFixit guide and just went freehand on the thing. This model is the bane of my PowerPC collection and one I am having trouble giving up on!!

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and weckart

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Congrats to the OP. I have a G3 700 which has undergone about 6 or 7 tear downs in recent months. Three failed logic boards, a dc in board and a failed HDD. After the first few times I stopped needing the iFixit guide and just went freehand on the thing. This model is the bane of my PowerPC collection and one I am having trouble giving up on!!
I have the same laptop in the 14" version. It was a freebie and I think a tad flaky. When running for a while, stability can be a bit iffy, so I suspect it has solder/GPU issues. I don't really use it so it is at the back of the investigate/repair queue and I think I remember reading here that it is a prime candidate for letting the owner down.

Reactions: z970 and AphoticD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.