Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marceloaleixo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Hi everyone, I hope someone can me help me figure out this one. My Mac book pro Mid2012 A1278 was suddenly very slow and getting very hot, more than normal, until one day it didn't turn on any longer. I took it to a more affordable shop to get it fixed and it was the logic board. Now it seems to be working fine but that's where my problem started. Since it was getting very slow I thought about reinstalling the osx, in this case high sierra, but that was exactly when the laptop stopped working. So now it came back fixed but with no OS in it. Is there a way to install the OS from scratch without losing my data on the ssd?
Thanks

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So what do you have on the SSD?

OSX files?
Data files?

Hard to believe the reinstall stopped with zero OSX files on the SSD, normally an update will just overwrite what it needs to, leaving your data and any unchanged files intact, if there is no OSX on it then maybe you selected format the drive in which case your data will have gone too.

The answer should be format, install the OS and reinstall your data from your backup...do you have a backup?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Reboot to internet recovery (command-option-R at boot).

Re-installing the OS will not touch your personal data.
It will just "replace the OS" with a fresh copy.

Reactions: Marceloaleixo

Marceloaleixo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
So what do you have on the SSD?

OSX files?
Data files?

Hard to believe the reinstall stopped with zero OSX files on the SSD, normally an update will just overwrite what it needs to, leaving your data and any unchanged files intact, if there is no OSX on it then maybe you selected format the drive in which case your data will have gone too.

The answer should be format, install the OS and reinstall your data from your backup...do you have a backup?

Thanks a lot for the reply, I've realised my external HD had almost all I needed! :)
[doublepost=1539190930][/doublepost]
Reboot to internet recovery (command-option-R at boot).

Re-installing the OS will not touch your personal data.
It will just "replace the OS" with a fresh copy.

Thanks for the rely, I've found my backup!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.