Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I can't blame you, I'd rather go back to an old nokia before buying an Android that wasn't a Nexus.

Everything else is rubbish, stock straight experience from the makers of the OS or bust for me.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
At last, a post with some logic. I like my droids, but my ipad also works out. A neat little combination i have. Works great with Google Chrome and Google Drive

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
I have the One X and the S3 and I'm not sure what it is but the 4S keeps drawing me back in so I end up using it after playing with the other 2 for a while.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I am a total ios lover and sold my 4 and got an S3 yesterday. I LOVE the S3, but I really miss iOS also. I think im going to keep my S3 and just buy an ipad 3 eventually. I have too many apps and an airplay system that need ios.

The S3 probably isnt going back though, just too many great features, and when google now gets on it, I should be very happy.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?

Yes it was officially announced by Google at their big maps event a little while back. And no Apple wont try to block it because the last time they tried to block Google apps from the App store they got hit with some kind of legal or anti-trust lawsuit, so I doubt they would try. And they cant justify blocking it because of duplicating functionality because there are tons of other maps apps.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I switched from 4s to GS3 and I'm definitely not going back, but I was pretty familiar with Android from previously owning Evo 4G, Photon 4G and Galaxy Nexus(went back to 4s due to horrid battery life on LTE). I've owned almost every iphone save for 2G and 4, and the small screen along with annoying iOS limitations got annoying after a while. ICS/Jellybean pretty much addressed the lag issues that plagued previous versions, and the UI is in many ways more intuitive than iOS. I'm loving the 4.8in screen, which is AWESOME for gaming, browsing and media.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am very interested in trying out an SIII but I have a couple questions...

I don't want to add a new line. Is there any way I can switch back and forth between my 4S and an SIII using my same existing line with ATT? I realize there is an issue with sim card compatibility so I was curious how this would work. Basically I want to keep my existing plan while I try an SIII and if I decide to go back I'm wondering how tricky that would be for me.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yes it was officially announced by Google at their big maps event a little while back. And no Apple wont try to block it because the last time they tried to block Google apps from the App store they got hit with some kind of legal or anti-trust lawsuit, so I doubt they would try. And they cant justify blocking it because of duplicating functionality because there are tons of other maps apps.

That's very good for iOS users.

Too bad Apple won't allow one to make it the default Map/Navigation app. But still, good news.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I am very interested in trying out an SIII but I have a couple questions...

I don't want to add a new line. Is there any way I can switch back and forth between my 4S and an SIII using my same existing line with ATT? I realize there is an issue with sim card compatibility so I was curious how this would work. Basically I want to keep my existing plan while I try an SIII and if I decide to go back I'm wondering how tricky that would be for me.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.

Yes, as long as you are in good standing with att, you can change you plan between phones all you want. In the last year, i have added and subtracted 3 iphones an S2, an S3 and 2 feature phones. I think att puts a small fee on your bill, but it isn't significant.
What you can't do (unless your phones are unlocked) is swap a contracted iphone sim between the iphone and an Android phone whenever you want.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Yes, as long as you are in good standing with att, you can change you plan between phones all you want. In the last year, i have added and subtracted 3 iphones an S2, an S3 and 2 feature phones. I think att puts a small fee on your bill, but it isn't significant.
What you can't do (unless your phones are unlocked) is swap a contracted iphone sim between the iphone and an Android phone whenever you want.

So if each phone has its own SIM how do I go about switching which one is getting the service on any given day? Can you do that through the ATT website? Their site is kind of a mess, I'm looking for answers there and not getting very far.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
So if each phone has its own SIM how do I go about switching which one is getting the service on any given day? Can you do that through the ATT website? Their site is kind of a mess, I'm looking for answers there and not getting very far.

I go into the store when changing phones out.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010

When I returned to the 4S it was no problem getting my unlimited plan switched between the two devices.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Sounds good guys. I may do this sometime soon. I'd like to sell my 4S to force myself to use Android for a while. I'm sick of hearing the raging debates and I want to find out for myself. If the next iPhone is a killer I can always go back! Thanks for the insight.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
You know another great advantage to android? Micro SD.

Why?

Because you buy a 32GB micro sd pro about 20-30$ and you can use it every time you change phone to increase your phones capacity without paying any extra.

On iPhone and ipad, for example, if you need always 32GB because you have many videos and music and games, you will need to pay for the 32GB model always, and in time the cost becomes too much. The 32GB model of iPad costs 530 euros in my country, 630 if its 3G.

Imagine paying 530 or 630 every year or every two years, when you upgrade to the new iPad (or new iPhone).

Its too expensive.

With android you pay 20-30$ and you buy the cheapest 16GB version of the phone you want, like the SGS3 in this case. Then, next year or in two years, you buy again the 16GB SGS4 or SGS5, and use your micro sd to increase again the capacity up to 48GB for free.

Not bad, right?

Its much more economic and convenient. You can even use your micro sd with an android tablet, or renew it using it in a camera or another gadget.

This alone is a BIG reason to go and stay with android. As much as anyone loves iOS, the cost of buying the 32GB model every time is too much, and lets not talk if you need or want the 64GB...

Vege-Taco

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Arizona
I've been testing out the S3 for 13 days now, but it's not working out for me. I really wanted to like it over the 4s. I feel the 4s screen is too small, and I have REALLY missed the Google Navigation, which was the biggest reason I wanted to switch to the S3. However, the lack of contact integration with my iCloud contacts, instability of apps, and poor user interface (yes, my opinion), really kills the phone for me. I'm switching back to the 4s tonight and will anxiously await the slightly-larger iPhone 5 screen and hopefully-better navigation.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I've been testing out the S3 for 13 days now, but it's not working out for me. I really wanted to like it over the 4s. I feel the 4s screen is too small, and I have REALLY missed the Google Navigation, which was the biggest reason I wanted to switch to the S3. However, the lack of contact integration with my iCloud contacts, instability of apps, and poor user interface (yes, my opinion), really kills the phone for me. I'm switching back to the 4s tonight and will anxiously await the slightly-larger iPhone 5 screen and hopefully-better navigation.

The Navigation in ios 6 is great. I've used it before to excellent effect.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.

I am very much in this boat, but since I bought the S3 I will ride it for a couple of years. As long as it works consistently I will be happy.

It is refreshing to see some honest posts on here, instead of the typical troll bait trash talk. I respect those of you that gave Android a try, but just knew it wasn't for you. Android def isn't for everyone and the iPhone and iOS are great products. The iPhone just isn't for me anymore, after using the S3. The wonderful thing is, we have plenty of choices to decide what we want. I hope that doesn't ever go away.

Again, thank you all for not trashing other products in your posts. Much appreciated.

Agree totally!

If you are using the same phone number and hoping to switch between devices, and both are ATT locked OR unlocked, you can switch the SIM card from one phone to the other from what I understand. They both use a micro SIM card (I believe). However, if they are not the same size, you cannot have two SIM cards with the same phone number, you would have to have two phone plans with two phone numbers. I had an iP4 and bought a SSGS3 and was able to swap my SIM card between the phones easily (I had my iPhone4 unlocked when I did that. The carrier unlocked it for a fee) but I suspect that as long as they were both ATT phones, same card size, you can just swap out the SIM card?

correct me if I am wrong here.

jaysonthomas

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
The 4 and the 4s are micro sims and the androids use a standard size but you can use a micro sim adapter which can be found online. U also need to unlock your phone from your phone carrier. If you account is in good standing they probably won't charge you anything for the unlock code. Hope this helps.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
So, i've finally received my s3 and first impressions are good. I was a bit worried at first after hearing so many negative comments about the screen, but I have to say that I have no problems with the colours or saturation, i've changed the default display setting to 'natural' and it looks great.
The stock keyboard isn't as good as ios but I quickly downloaded SwiftKey and I must say it's a revelation!
I can't comment too much on battery life yet but so far it's lasting as good or better than the 4s.

S voice is ok but not as good as Siri, but it's hardly a deal breaker.
However, the email support is pretty lousy and will not work with my exchange account, which means I had to download a third party app, which I'll eventually have to pay for.

I was expecting some kind of flimsy phone but i've been pleasantly surprised. Of course it's nowhere near as elegant and we'll made as the iPhone, but they've really squeezed the screen into as small an area as possible, so actually it doesn't feel too big, to me anyway.

Bluetooth audio is as good as the iPhone and this was important for me. It will automatically connect when I get into the car which is great.
However, it doesn't seem to support calling directly from the car radio for some reason.
It supports apt-x which means when I'm listening with my sennheiser headphones the quality is improved and there is no lag, which will be great for watching films.

All in all it's looking like I'll keep it. I'm not knocking the iPhone, it's a great phone but I can see android suiting my needs far better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.