Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Easy question but I don't know if its an easy answer. How do I stop OSX from turning off trim support on a samsung ssd?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
After every OS upgrade (installation), the TRIM support for non native Apple SSD will be off by default.

I find that the easiest way to handle this is to use Trim Enabler. It has a function to check if the TRIM is turned on.

So, after every OS installation, it will automatically pops up. Remind me to hit the button and turn the TRIM back on.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
What method are you using to enable Trim?
What events take place that disable it?
How often has it occurred?

I personally like Chameleon SSD Optimizer.

I use the terminal command thats all over the place.
I noticed every once in awhile when I would check it would be off but after some searching it seems it does that with third party ssds after every system update.
I was wondering if there was a way to run the terminal command in the background on startup. It would seem like this would be easy enough to do rather than a third party app that has extra features I really dont need

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I did that by running a script to manually modify the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext file at the very beginning.

However, I realised that I have to do this every time after an OS upgrade on both of my primary and back up boot disk. And sometimes I may forgot to turn it on for a while.

So I changed to use TRIM Enabler with the "check TRIM support on boot" function. One easy click then everything is done.

My Mac Pro run 24/7. So once the TRIM is on, it should stay there. I won't keep monitoring it. And so far only the OS installation will turn it off, and TRIM Enabler always pick it up straight away.

Therefore, unless you are those person who love to reinstall the OS regularly. You don't have to care about the TRIM after turned it on by Chameleon SSD Optimiser. But you need to have some kind of check list to remind yourself manually turn it back on after every OS upgrade / installation.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I use the terminal command thats all over the place.
I noticed every once in awhile when I would check it would be off but after some searching it seems it does that with third party ssds after every system update.
I was wondering if there was a way to run the terminal command in the background on startup. It would seem like this would be easy enough to do rather than a third party app that has extra features I really dont need

Either tool will do the job. Trim Enabler would be a good choice if you want a reminder in case it gets turned off. I checked my status pretty often at first because the terminal commands didn't seem to hold sometimes even when there were no updates. Chameleon hasn't let me down. Trim Enabler would be just as useful or perhaps more.. Try them out and keep what suits you. Both will resolve the issue I believe. Since Chameleon doesn't load up at every boot (the reason I like it) no reason you can't have both.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Im going to try out trim enabler, I like that it does a quiet background check (app doesn't pop up every restart). They both seem to do the same thing though.
It is very annoying that OSX disables trim on non mac ssds with each update, then again one min the usr folder is gone and the next library is...
Thanks so much for your time and help guys I appreciate it.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I'm sure you're aware that an update to iTunes was released an you're or two ago. That fixed the users folder issues.
I am aware and got it immediately, I was happy that was fixed and then I went to delete a programs application supports and noticed they took away the view options- "show library" that may have happened a few updates ago as I haven't done any cleanup in a few months. Now I have to go to Usr Library the old fashion way holding down option go-library

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am aware and got it immediately, I was happy that was fixed and then I went to delete a programs application supports and noticed they took away the view options- "show library" that may have happened a few updates ago as I haven't done any cleanup in a few months. Now I have to go to Usr Library the old fashion way holding down option go-library

I wasn't aware of the changes to the library viewing options, I seldom go there. Giving that the library view has been tinkered with in the past, it may be intentional rather than a bug. The user folder was causing an issue for me until I found a way to work around it. It was causing FCPX to have 30+ sec. startup times (pretty sad considering it's on an SSD). FCPX couldn't find or load current project files. It kept trying and stalled the app. until it finally timed out. Had me scratching my head for a bit. It's fast as a jackrabbit again now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.