Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
In a world of team meetings, I now find myself recording the content of the meeting so I don't miss anything., However, as with all teams meetings, there is the usual pre meeting chat and then many goodbyes at the end of the meeting. I do all this that records on a dictaphone.

Im looking to trim these files so the pre chat and goodbyes are no longer there and the file simply contains the meeting.

Can anyone recommend a simple trimmer that could do this, either free or paid for. Im guessing there are plenty, but as basic as it needs to be really for this simple task.

As always, any help appreciated.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
In a world of team meetings, I now find myself recording the content of the meeting so I don't miss anything., However, as with all teams meetings, there is the usual pre meeting chat and then many goodbyes at the end of the meeting. I do all this that records on a dictaphone.

Im looking to trim these files so the pre chat and goodbyes are no longer there and the file simply contains the meeting.

Can anyone recommend a simple trimmer that could do this, either free or paid for. Im guessing there are plenty, but as basic as it needs to be really for this simple task.

As always, any help appreciated.

It's already on your Mac: QuickTime Player or GarageBand. Open the mp3 file in QuickTime Player, press CMD + T to open the trimming mode, and adjust the start and end handles. Then export the audio to m4a (can be converted to mp3 if so desired in iTunes/Music app, but probably unnecessary unless you're OCD about all your extensions being .mp3. GarageBand is even easier to trim the clip precisely and to edit out parts in the middle. Then you can export it directly to mp3 at various quality settings.

Reactions: Pyrotechnic

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The BEST TOOL for lossless trimming of mp3 files was named (appropriately):
"MP3 Trimmer"

What makes it the best is that there is no "file conversion" (i.e., decompressing, trim, then re-compressing) done -- it's all done in native MP3 format.

It can also do "fade ins" and "fade outs".

The problem:
It may now be discontinued software, and I don't know if it still works with the latest versions of the OS (I'm at "Mojave forever" on my 2018 Mini).

I believe it can still be found here:

If you try it, you'll immediately see "why it's the best".
mp3 trimmer screen.jpg

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Music, formerly known as iTunes, works as well. You re-rip an imported track, but set start/stop time marks. New track will be just the middle bits.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
GarageBand gives you the option of adding a tension heartbeat track, or a subtle-yet-ominous track every time the boss speaks, or a simple 'ting' every time a vacuous management-speak-buzzword gets used. I like to think it makes the archive a little richer.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
GarageBand gives you the option of adding a tension heartbeat track, or a subtle-yet-ominous track every time the boss speaks, or a simple 'ting' every time a vacuous management-speak-buzzword gets used. I like to think it makes the archive a little richer.

My son uses GarageBand to compose music so I can always get free tech support if I need it.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
The BEST TOOL for lossless trimming of mp3 files was named (appropriately):
"MP3 Trimmer"

What makes it the best is that there is no "file conversion" (i.e., decompressing, trim, then re-compressing) done -- it's all done in native MP3 format.

It can also do "fade ins" and "fade outs".

The problem:
It may now be discontinued software, and I don't know if it still works with the latest versions of the OS (I'm at "Mojave forever" on my 2018 Mini).

I believe it can still be found here:

If you try it, you'll immediately see "why it's the best".
View attachment 1827068

I'll second that recommendation - great app - have used it for many years and still have it on my Mojave MacBook Pro - but it no longer works on Monterey / Big Sur and I believe it stopped working at Catalina (32 bit?)

Here is a direct link to the developers site - MP3 Trimmer @ DeepNiner

If you are on Mojave or earlier - it is well worth the $12.95 - IMHO - it is still my "go to" for trimming many mp3 files and you can also "join .mp3 files" and batch process Gain adjust etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.