Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
There has been some talk on the forum about this, but there have been conflicting answers. If you install Summerboard, do you need Trip1Pogo? Some have said that if you uninstall Trip1Pogo, your iPod will stop working and you will need to restore it; while others have said that Trip1Pogo is not necessary and that after uninstalling it their iPod has been running better. Can someone shed some light on this?

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Nope... You do not need both.

If you've already got both installed, then you'll have to do a restore - and re-do the jailbreak, but miss out the Trip1PogoStick part.... just go ahead and install SummerBoard and installer - and you're back to where you were before (minus the crashes!)

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
so if you remove trip1topogo you have to do a restore?
suck sauce man

I just removed Trip1Pogo and my iPod won't reboot. It gets stuck at the Apple screen. It might work if I uninstalled Trip1Pogo and then did a reinstall of SummerBoard without restarting the iPod. I don't have my usb cable with me right now so I can't do a restore. But I'll try restoring later, and then jailbreaking without installing Trip1Pogo and going straight to SummerBoard. Hopefully this works and results in less crashes. At the moment, everything I do seems to cause a crash after a few minutes. Even just trying to listen to my music causes crashes.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
I just removed Trip1Pogo and my iPod won't reboot. It gets stuck at the Apple screen. It might work if I uninstalled Trip1Pogo and then did a reinstall of SummerBoard without restarting the iPod. I don't have my usb cable with me right now so I can't do a restore. But I'll try restoring later, and then jailbreaking without installing Trip1Pogo and going straight to SummerBoard. Hopefully this works and results in less crashes. At the moment, everything I do seems to cause a crash after a few minutes. Even just trying to listen to my music causes crashes.

whats the name of the trip app... is it demo.app? anyone know
what makes you think that reinstalling trip then sb and then reinstalling summberboard would fix that? just wondering :)

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
whats the name of the trip app... is it demo.app? anyone know
what makes you think that reinstalling trip then sb and then reinstalling summberboard would fix that? just wondering :)

The application is called Trip1Pogo, and it handles third-party applications.
I'm not sure about Macs but on Windows auto-jailbreak, Trip1Pogo comes installed.

I had a lot of crashes with both Trip1Pogo and SummerBoard installed simultaneously, and I read on several other threads that having both isn't necessary and that if I just have one of them, the crashes are less likely to occur. Since SummerBoard has the same function as Trip1Pogo in addition to allowing customization, the choice is obvious.

The reason why I think uninstalling Trip1Pogo and then reinstalling SummerBoard would fix the problem is because after uninstalling Trip1Pogo and restarting, my iPod froze at the Apple screen on startup. This leads me to believe that Trip1Pogo and SummerBoard probably shared some component, and that by uninstalling Trip1Pogo, I also uninstalled some components of SummerBoard. So without either of these on my iPod, my iPod was unable to start SpringBoard and let me into the interface- thus stuck at the Apple screen.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
The application is called Trip1Pogo, and it handles third-party applications.
I'm not sure about Macs but on Windows auto-jailbreak, Trip1Pogo comes installed.

I had a lot of crashes with both Trip1Pogo and SummerBoard installed simultaneously, and I read on several other threads that having both isn't necessary and that if I just have one of them, the crashes are less likely to occur. Since SummerBoard has the same function as Trip1Pogo in addition to allowing customization, the choice is obvious.

The reason why I think uninstalling Trip1Pogo and then reinstalling SummerBoard would fix the problem is because after uninstalling Trip1Pogo and restarting, my iPod froze at the Apple screen on startup. This leads me to believe that Trip1Pogo and SummerBoard probably shared some component, and that by uninstalling Trip1Pogo, I also uninstalled some components of SummerBoard. So without either of these on my iPod, my iPod was unable to start SpringBoard and let me into the interface- thus stuck at the Apple screen.

suck sauce, yeah... i was thinking the same. I guess with this knowledge it would be smart to wait and see what other people say... maybe I should uninstall summerboard first and then trip1pogo...THEN reinstall summerboard...

btw, is the summerboard alpha on comm resources yet, or do i still have to dload it an install it manually?

thanks for your reply!
Arisian

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
suck sauce, yeah... i was thinking the same. I guess with this knowledge it would be smart to wait and see what other people say... maybe I should uninstall summerboard first and then trip1pogo...THEN reinstall summerboard...

btw, is the summerboard alpha on comm resources yet, or do i still have to dload it an install it manually?

thanks for your reply!
Arisian

Throw up a web server and create your own source. Works quite well, I have to say. No messing about with file transfers.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007

thanks for your reply!
Arisian

You will have to download from the website and install it manually. The version on Installer is still outdated.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Throw up a web server and create your own source. Works quite well, I have to say. No messing about with file transfers.

Not a bad idea if you don't mind keeping your own list updated every now and then. Someone should write a guide on how to do this, as I'm sure most people that would like to do so will not know how.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
yeah, i can do that. Thats no problem at all. I just wish someone knew how to uninstall trip1pogo without having to redo everything...

would make creating my own source kinda pointless

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
yeah, i can do that. Thats no problem at all. I just wish someone knew how to uninstall trip1pogo without having to redo everything...

would make creating my own source kinda pointless

The best way is to just try it, you can't mess up your iPod since you'll always be able to just restore it via iTunes. I just wish there was a faster way to restore, since restoring via iTunes flashes the iPod and forces you to resync all your music (which takes me about 2 hours). I know that with the older iPods and iPodLinux, there was a way to flash just the firmware without deleting the music off the iPod, but I don't think anyone knows how to do that since updates go through iTunes now instead of its own updater program.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
The best way is to just try it, you can't mess up your iPod since you'll always be able to just restore it via iTunes. I just wish there was a faster way to restore, since restoring via iTunes flashes the iPod and forces you to resync all your music (which takes me about 2 hours). I know that with the older iPods and iPodLinux, there was a way to flash just the firmware without deleting the music off the iPod, but I don't think anyone knows how to do that since updates go through iTunes now instead of its own updater program.

you know what would suck? if i got home tonight and there was another firmware update and it made me update to 1.1.2

which brings me to my next question, is there a way to save that file when it dloads it and ONLY restore to 1.1.1 for now?

Anyone?
Arisian

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
you know what would suck? if i got home tonight and there was another firmware update and it made me update to 1.1.2

which brings me to my next question, is there a way to save that file when it dloads it and ONLY restore to 1.1.1 for now?

Anyone?
Arisian

1. Dont accept the upgrade, it will prompt before attempting to flash your iPod.

2. Yes, there is a 150 MB file sitting on the Apple knowledge base, search for iPod1,1_1.1_3A101a_Restore.ipsw

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Just restored my iPod and jailbroke. Instead of installing Trip1Pogo, I just installed SummerBoard. It works flawlessly and it seems to have a lot less crashes. I'll update more later.

voodoo411

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
hi im new here
i jailbroke my touch using new GUI version of touchfree. trip1pogo and summerboard came installed, theres no option to skip them in the proccess of installing. is the only way to skip trip1pogo is using old touchfree?
thankz

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
hi im new here
i jailbroke my touch using new GUI version of touchfree. trip1pogo and summerboard came installed, theres no option to skip them in the proccess of installing. is the only way to skip trip1pogo is using old touchfree?
thankz

I don't think so. I know the option does not exist in revisions 4 or 5. I had to do a manual jailbreak, if you're interested, here's a guide on how:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Windows_jailbreak

Once you get to the part telling you to install Trip1Pogo, just skip it and go straight to installing SummerBoard. Make sure that when you skip Trip1Pogo, you don't restart until you've finished installing SummerBoard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.