Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twiggs4625

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
I am looking to triple boot my Titanium G4 with OSX, OS9 and Linux... I have a few questions.

1. Should I partition the drive into 3 separate partitions. Or should there be only 2 (1 for OSX/OS9 side by side and 1 for Linux)

2. I have ISO files of all the OS I want to use I assume I can still boot via USB (even though it is 1.1)

3. While I think I know which Linux distro I want to use, what are your votes on the best one for a relatively modern experience on a dated machine.

4. I am getting an NEC based PCMCIA card for USB 2.0... can I use a newer wifi dongle for wireless N (security reasons)

Specs:

1GHz PPC with 1GB RAM and a 120GB SSD, 64MB Radeon Video

Why am I doing this? For no reason other than I am a geek at heart and sometimes I want to experience the work day on something a bit more old fashion. Let me know your thoughts.

r34per

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2020
This guide will walk you through setting up a triple boot

As for the linux distro, my vote goes to lubuntu 16.04 remix done by wicknix on here. Works pretty well on the TiBook. You should be able to usb boot on the tibook, i've done it before but i think i had to do it through open firmware.

For the wifi, the builtin card should work fine on linux, but not with osx tiger or os9 due to the os not supporting modern wifi encryption methods. It's on the os level rather than the wifi adapter so a newer one won't help you there. My solution to that was to create a hidden network without encryption that i connect all of my old devices to- though i wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you're doing.

Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.