Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
So, I know this can be a contentious subject and I don't know what's happened with me lately, but I'm sort of shopping for a new tripod.

A little bit of back story-years ago when I first got into photography, I was in high school/college and realized I needed a sturdy tripod but didn't have a lot of money. A lot of research and discussion on Photo.net(back in the Greenspun days when it was good...), including repeated links to Thom Hogan's infamous "How to save $700 on a tripod" ensued with the argument not flying even then that the $1K Hogan was advocating spending was more than what i had tied up in my kit at the time and was unfathomable.

Going my own way and acting as I am still known to do, I ended up buying an original Marcioni Tilt-All. It was $100 delivered to me, and remains an insanely good tripod despite lacking a lot of modern features and being heavy. I added a couple more along the way, and Chuck Rubin in Louisville(I have to name drop since Chuck remains so awesome) sold me a couple of stupidly heavy studio tripods in my 4x5 flirtation days including a lovely wooden one that's horribly impractical with a geared video head. I've used those so rarely because they are so heavy, and in fact all three of those tripods have yet to make the move with me since moving here to St. Louis 3 years ago(I'm planning to at least grab the Tilt-all this coming weekend). My Tiltall does need a bit of work, but nothing impossible-I think it needs a new mounting screw since I used it for years without realizing the one on it was short and I always had issues with cameras rotating on it because I just couldn't lock them down tight enough.

2017-ish when I started really seriously diving in again I decided it was time to move up to the "big boy" world with a proper carbon fiber tripod and an Arca-Swiss compatible head. That became a really easy decision when I visited the other big Louisville camera store(Murphy's-the main store on Bardstown Road) and they had a beautiful nearly unused Arca-Swiss B1 in their used case. They had it attractively priced because the B1 is no longer current, but I decided that I could live without the improvements the Z1 offered(built in bubble level and easier to use tension locks were the main ones I saw-AFAIK the eccentric ball and other touches that made the basic Arca Swiss ball so loved didn't really change). Of course a tripod head without legs is useless, and I ended up that day buying a set of Bogen 190 CF legs. They were inexpensive and reviewed favorably, although seemed pretty basic. They put the two together for me(Don Sivori-still there and absolutely awesome, as are all the people at Murphys if anyone here ever frequents there-loctited the locking screws since he warned me they tended to work loose on Bogen/Manfrotto legs) and I was out the door for something like $250.

I then of course went whole-hog on equipping my cameras with QR plates. Most of the things I use now wear fitted RRS or Kirk plates, my big lenses have Kirk or RRS feet on them, and my X-T5 even has the accessory grip thqat has an AS-type dovetail on the bottom. Of course too I have piles of generic plates to fit to older cameras that don't have dedicated plates available.

I had always intended those legs to be a stop-gap while I shopped for something else, but 6 years later here I am still with them. I've carted them all over the country, and they are light enough that I don't mind hauling them pretty much anywhere with me. I have 30 second exposures in the wind that are tack sharp, and just generally haven't had any complaints until recently. Of course I too generally use a remote/cable release or the self timer for this stuff.

I don't know what's changed, but I've gone on a bit of a binge of trying to use auto fine tune on my D5 and D850 for a few specific lenses. The 135mm f/2 DC is high on the list, and it's one that's honestly sat unused for a while because it's notoriously poor focusing and I haven't taken the time to really dial it in properly(and I've never liked manual fine tune since it's so easy to mess up). Basically my set-up for AF fine tune is to put the tripod on the floor, legs totally unextended, needless to say center column all the way down(I've maybe extended it a few times in owning it-it's a pretty rare thing). I'll lock everything down, but the auto fine tune requires quite a bit of manipulation on the camera to engage, and Nikon didn't see fit to put a delay in between hitting "okay" and giving the camera ~5 seconds to settle down. I've been getting repeated refusals to fine tune despite doing everything else right(and using test targets people have designed just for this) so I'm starting to think maybe the issue is in my tripod.

So, I'm shopping for legs. At first I was just going to go Gitzo and be done with it, but they leave me confused and where I think I need to end up leaves me at $1200+. I tried looking at RRS, but got some real sticker shock(even though I know this will hopefully be a long-serving purchase) at about 30-50% more than a comparable Gitzo. Thom Hogan did a comprehensive review not too long ago of "budget" tripods and I've read it a few times, but am not sure how I really feel about investing in any of them.

So, for those of you who use a tripod, where are you now on your product choices?

Here are my requirements:

1. CF is a must. I've been spoiled, and the weight of it over aluminum opens up a world where I'd otherwise leave the tripod at home or in the car.

2. I'm tall-6'2"-and ideally I'm looking for 65" without raising the center column. 60" is doable considering that a head+plate+camera can give me 8-12" from the top of the legs to the viewfinder, but really 65" is a better number.

3. Since I rarely fly with tripods, and am not averse to checking if I need to, 3 section is fine for me and preferred for the greater rigidity.

4. Of course I want low also. Also ideally I can get low with the legs fully extended, but some combination of wide leg opening plus less than fully extended is workable also.

5. My weight requirements are decently high. A typical combo would be something like a D850+24-70 f/2.8, but need it to handle a 300 2.8 and D5 with weight to spare. The first is a little over 2kg, or we'll say 5lbs to give some allowance. The latter is 4.5kg, or we'll call it 10lbs.

Any thoughts on the above?

5. I'm not caught up on brands. I know I've talked about Arca-Swiss, Gitzo, RRS, and Bogen/Manfrotto in this post, but really if there's a brand I've never heard of that offers me what I want and is stable, I'm open to it.

Reactions: CooperBox

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I must confess knowing almost nothing about tripods. Had no idea what make mine was (just looked - it's a Vidcor,) purchased on a whim during a trip to New York, I guess some 35+ years ago. It holds the camera firmly, and that's ok with me. :)

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
So, I know this can be a contentious subject and I don't know what's happened with me lately, but I'm sort of shopping for a new tripod.

A little bit of back story-years ago when I first got into photography, I was in high school/college and realized I needed a sturdy tripod but didn't have a lot of money. A lot of research and discussion on Photo.net(back in the Greenspun days when it was good...), including repeated links to Thom Hogan's infamous "How to save $700 on a tripod" ensued with the argument not flying even then that the $1K Hogan was advocating spending was more than what i had tied up in my kit at the time and was unfathomable.

Going my own way and acting as I am still known to do, I ended up buying an original Marcioni Tilt-All. It was $100 delivered to me, and remains an insanely good tripod despite lacking a lot of modern features and being heavy. I added a couple more along the way, and Chuck Rubin in Louisville(I have to name drop since Chuck remains so awesome) sold me a couple of stupidly heavy studio tripods in my 4x5 flirtation days including a lovely wooden one that's horribly impractical with a geared video head. I've used those so rarely because they are so heavy, and in fact all three of those tripods have yet to make the move with me since moving here to St. Louis 3 years ago(I'm planning to at least grab the Tilt-all this coming weekend). My Tiltall does need a bit of work, but nothing impossible-I think it needs a new mounting screw since I used it for years without realizing the one on it was short and I always had issues with cameras rotating on it because I just couldn't lock them down tight enough.

2017-ish when I started really seriously diving in again I decided it was time to move up to the "big boy" world with a proper carbon fiber tripod and an Arca-Swiss compatible head. That became a really easy decision when I visited the other big Louisville camera store(Murphy's-the main store on Bardstown Road) and they had a beautiful nearly unused Arca-Swiss B1 in their used case. They had it attractively priced because the B1 is no longer current, but I decided that I could live without the improvements the Z1 offered(built in bubble level and easier to use tension locks were the main ones I saw-AFAIK the eccentric ball and other touches that made the basic Arca Swiss ball so loved didn't really change). Of course a tripod head without legs is useless, and I ended up that day buying a set of Bogen 190 CF legs. They were inexpensive and reviewed favorably, although seemed pretty basic. They put the two together for me(Don Sivori-still there and absolutely awesome, as are all the people at Murphys if anyone here ever frequents there-loctited the locking screws since he warned me they tended to work loose on Bogen/Manfrotto legs) and I was out the door for something like $250.

I then of course went whole-hog on equipping my cameras with QR plates. Most of the things I use now wear fitted RRS or Kirk plates, my big lenses have Kirk or RRS feet on them, and my X-T5 even has the accessory grip thqat has an AS-type dovetail on the bottom. Of course too I have piles of generic plates to fit to older cameras that don't have dedicated plates available.

I had always intended those legs to be a stop-gap while I shopped for something else, but 6 years later here I am still with them. I've carted them all over the country, and they are light enough that I don't mind hauling them pretty much anywhere with me. I have 30 second exposures in the wind that are tack sharp, and just generally haven't had any complaints until recently. Of course I too generally use a remote/cable release or the self timer for this stuff.

I don't know what's changed, but I've gone on a bit of a binge of trying to use auto fine tune on my D5 and D850 for a few specific lenses. The 135mm f/2 DC is high on the list, and it's one that's honestly sat unused for a while because it's notoriously poor focusing and I haven't taken the time to really dial it in properly(and I've never liked manual fine tune since it's so easy to mess up). Basically my set-up for AF fine tune is to put the tripod on the floor, legs totally unextended, needless to say center column all the way down(I've maybe extended it a few times in owning it-it's a pretty rare thing). I'll lock everything down, but the auto fine tune requires quite a bit of manipulation on the camera to engage, and Nikon didn't see fit to put a delay in between hitting "okay" and giving the camera ~5 seconds to settle down. I've been getting repeated refusals to fine tune despite doing everything else right(and using test targets people have designed just for this) so I'm starting to think maybe the issue is in my tripod.

So, I'm shopping for legs. At first I was just going to go Gitzo and be done with it, but they leave me confused and where I think I need to end up leaves me at $1200+. I tried looking at RRS, but got some real sticker shock(even though I know this will hopefully be a long-serving purchase) at about 30-50% more than a comparable Gitzo. Thom Hogan did a comprehensive review not too long ago of "budget" tripods and I've read it a few times, but am not sure how I really feel about investing in any of them.

So, for those of you who use a tripod, where are you now on your product choices?

1. CF is a must. I've been spoiled, and the weight of it over aluminum opens up a world where I'd otherwise leave the tripod at home or in the car.

2. I'm tall-6'2"-and ideally I'm looking for 65" without raising the center column. 60" is doable considering that a head+plate+camera can give me 8-12" from the top of the legs to the viewfinder, but really 65" is a better number.

3. Since I rarely fly with tripods, and am not averse to checking if I need to, 3 section is fine for me and preferred for the greater rigidity.

4. Of course I want low also. Also ideally I can get low with the legs fully extended, but some combination of wide leg opening plus less than fully extended is workable also.

5. My weight requirements are decently high. A typical combo would be something like a D850+24-70 f/2.8, but need it to handle a 300 2.8 and D5 with weight to spare. The first is a little over 2kg, or we'll say 5lbs to give some allowance. The latter is 4.5kg, or we'll call it 10lbs.

5. I'm not caught up on brands. I know I've talked about Arca-Swiss, Gitzo, RRS, and Bogen/Manfrotto in this post, but really if there's a brand I've never heard of that offers me what I want and is stable, I'm open to it.
So I've had a variety of tripods over the years, including RRS, etc. I currently have two sets of legs (and ones I've had for almost 8 years). These are a light-ish Feisol something-or-other (they don't have easy to remember naming to me) and a heavy Pro Media Gear monster (sort of) 77 inch TR424L. I mostly use my Feisol. It was cost effective (around $800 at the time back in 2017 or so), light and "tall enough". Whatever model it was, was a top one at the time (they have more expensive ones now). I do use an expensive head (one of the Arca Swiss Cube ones suited to what I do) but I am happy with both sets of legs.

I view my lenses, tripod(s) and raw converter as my most valued components in many ways. The sensor / body is important too, but those change fairly frequently.

Reactions: bunnspecial

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Here's a guy who should have no problem keeping his camera steady.......;)

Trilegs.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I have a Gitzo and a Manfrotto. The Manfrotto is aluminium and I use it just in the house mostly.
The Gitzo is the one I use on the road and it is a thing of beauty. Its paired with the matching ball head which is light enough. It is a traveller series 1 from memory.

Another brand you could consider is Benro. We have them at work and they look pretty sturdy.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Okay, so I visited a local camera store today.

I actually only sort or recently found out about them, but they're an honest to goodness old time place and I got distracted in the tripod section by an absolutely gorgeous and attractively priced Wista 4x5 field camera...

In any case, we looked at several and the Benro options they had favorably impressed me. I ended up with a Mach3 AL Extra Long.

It was actually kind of funny because when I walked in I told the guy I was looking for a tripod that was 7 feet tall, weighs 2 lbs, will hold 50lbs, and I didn't want to spend any more than $300. I thought those were impossible specs, but it actually beat the price and claims 44lbs of support.

This one is a bit of a beast and I doubt I'll ever use it at full height, but it's actually surprisingly light for an aluminum tripod. They claim to make a lot of use of magnesium casting to hold weight down.

Thom Hogan reviewed the CF version of this tripod and was very positive about it in his affordable tripod article. I'd have bought the CF version if they'd had it, but I think that for now I'll be very happy with the aluminum.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I actually only sort or recently found out about them, but they're an honest to goodness old time place and I got distracted in the tripod section by an absolutely gorgeous and attractively priced Wista 4x5 field camera...

In any case, we looked at several and the Benro options they had favorably impressed me. I ended up with a Mach3 AL Extra Long.

It was actually kind of funny because when I walked in I told the guy I was looking for a tripod that was 7 feet tall, weighs 2 lbs, will hold 50lbs, and I didn't want to spend any more than $300. I thought those were impossible specs, but it actually beat the price and claims 44lbs of support.

This one is a bit of a beast and I doubt I'll ever use it at full height, but it's actually surprisingly light for an aluminum tripod. They claim to make a lot of use of magnesium casting to hold weight down.

Thom Hogan reviewed the CF version of this tripod and was very positive about it in his affordable tripod article. I'd have bought the CF version if they'd had it, but I think that for now I'll be very happy with the aluminum.
Enjoy. I hope it gives you many years of good service.

Reactions: kenoh

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Interesting that in your list of wants/needs you didn't mention what kind of locks you wanted on the legs - twist locks or flip levers.

I've had an Induro aluminum for many years, and the only complaint I had was the flip locks. Always getting caught on something, and a real cold night would cause the aluminum to contract just enough to loosen a lock or two. Legs would slowly start to collapse.

So I looked for a replacement, and after much research, settled on a Benro Aluminum Mach3 with twist-lock legs. Same as yours, except I didn't get the extra long.

I've only had this tripod for less than a year but so far I've found it sturdy and reliable, no matter what I throw on top of it. Speaking of, on top of it is an Induro ball head.

So good luck with your purchase, I hope you enjoy it!

herbert7265

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2023
Mexico
Hmm, a thread about tripods in the MacRumors forums... honestly, I didn´t expect that. :)

Do you know this webpage?

Some potentially helpful information about and tests of tripods and heads. If you do not already know it you may have a look into it.

Okay, the majority of well known tripod brands have already been stated, as there are Gitzo, RRS, PMG, Manfrotto, Feisol, Induro, and so on.

Therefore, let me add another brand to your potential selection... FLM.

While there is also a FLM USA webpage I always go with FLM Canada, especially as the owner, Ari, is an absolutely great and helpful person!

Maybe have also a look into their tripod legs, especially the CP38-L4 II and the (quite new) Atlas 42 series.

Personally I use the CP38-L4 II (beside two other set of legs from FLM, which are no longer sold) and can only state that I am completely satisfied with these legs. Rock solid, great handling, great service... all what you can ask for from tripod legs.

Being myself 185 cm tall I barely need to extend the lower leg section and the lower height is just about 10 cm.

Another plus of FLM legs: Despite that they are overall comparable with legs from RRS, PMG and (maybe even) Gitzo, they are still less expensive than these brands. But they are definitely more expensive than legs from brands like Feisol, Induro, Sirui and so on. At least for me they provide a reasonable compromise regarding cost while do not compromise in any way the most important factor of tripod legs... stability!

At this moment they have one of their special sales, means you get the legs even for less than normally. Free shipping to the U.S. and a 30-day return period are also normal for FLM Canada.

Finally, as already mentioned, Ari from FLM Canada is an absolutely great person. So if you have any questions, potentially want to know more about these legs, just drop him a message and he will support in any way possible.

Herbert

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Interesting that in your list of wants/needs you didn't mention what kind of locks you wanted on the legs - twist locks or flip levers.

So it actually was a sort of intentional omission on my part. That may not be totally correct-I had intended to mentoin it, but not give a preference one way or the other.

As I mentioned, my first serious and many year regular use tripod was a Tiltall, which is twist lock. The current(or I guess now replaced...) Manfrotto is flip lock. The new Benro of course is twist.

I honestly can't make up my mind about which I like better. I like the convenience of lever/flip but as you mention they can snag. Also, the Bogen/Manfrotto ones loosen up enough that they give you a tool to keep them tight(although it's pretty rare I need to adjust one).

One thing I will say is that I have a fairly new Manfrotto monopod and the locks are different from my older one. They sort of flip out and over rather than just flipping over. The result is that they sit a bit more flat/flush so snag less, but also are not as convenient to use.

I appreciate the simplicity of twist locks, and also that you don't have to mess with tools on them. If they're not tight enough, just twist them tighter. With that said, when I'm trying to level on uneven ground, I find the levers a whole lot easier. Of course I've also gotten lazy on that a lot of times since I switched to mostly using a ball head. The other side of that, though, is it's all good and well to not level the legs with a ball head until you want to pan without using the ball(the B1 lets you do this-I'd assume most modern ball heads do) and then it just sort of doesn't work.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Enjoy. I hope it gives you many years of good service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.