Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I have an iPad Pro 9.7" with the T Mobile Prepaid 5 gigs for 150 days for 10 Months (or Mayne it's 10 gigs, I forget). My 150 days runs out Monday & I'm trying to re-up, .but when I click on Manage T Mobile Account from the Cellular Data section of the settings app, I'm getting an error 'Connection Failed The connection to the server was lost. Please try again later." I've tried resetting the iPad & tried to connect on both Wifi & cellular, but the issue remains. I've also tried to log in through the web & I can do that, but when I do that, they don't listen the 5 Gig for 150 days plan.

Had anyone run into this before & if so, how were you able to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Sounds like a server error. I have the T-mobile 5 GB/150 day one time pass active and this is what I get when I select, “need more data?”

I would wait until you run out of data and try again then. You can always cancel the T-mobile account then and start over from the initial provider list if the problem persists.

Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 7.44.31 PM.png

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Sounds like a server error. I have the T-mobile 5 GB/150 day one time pass active and this is what I get when I select, “need more data?”

View attachment 1992540
Yup, that's what I was expecting to see. Not sure what's going on, but I;'ll let it sit overnight & see if things resolve tomorrow. If not, I guess I'll give them a call. Thanks for confirming that it's still working for you. I'm glad it's not the fact that they shut it down.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Mine runs out in 30 days. In the past I have been able to renew from the iPad but, not this time. I got the same error as jdb posted when trying to renew right now.

I don't believe customer service will be able to help renew if you can't on the iPad, as they don't even know about the plan seeing how it is only offered on the iPad.

I think you will be able to renew on Monday.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Mine runs out in 30 days. In the past I have been able to renew from the iPad but, not this time. I got the same error as jdb posted when trying to renew right now.

I don't believe customer service will be able to help renew if you can't on the iPad, as they don't even know about the plan seeing how it is only offered on the iPad.

I think you will be able to renew on Monday.
Thanks. Fingers crossed.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Just went through this. Let that offer fully expire. Then rebuy it the next day.

And Apple_Robert is right: customer service don't seem to have any sense that this option exists, nor can they even seem to be able to "see" it among all offers they can try to sell you.

Copy says it is set up as "one time offer" so it seems logical that "one time" won't support renewing while it is active. However, after it expires, it is no longer an active plan, so you are not technically renewing it... you are buying a new plan... which just happens to be that same plan again. That worked fine for me a few days ago and I'm on a fresh 5 months now. I let it fully expire, slept on it, then purchased anew the next day. No problems.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Just went through this. Let that offer fully expire. Then rebuy it the next day.

And Apple_Robert is right: customer service don't seem to have any sense that this option exists, nor can they even seem to be able to "see" it among all offers they can try to sell you.

Copy says it is set up as "one time offer" so it seems logical that "one time" won't support renewing while it is active. However, after it expires, it is no longer an active plan, so you are not technically renewing it... you are buying a new plan... which just happens to be that same plan again. That worked fine for me and I'm on a fresh 5 months now.
I've been using the T-Mobile "one time offer" for about 5 years now.

Edit: Make that about 6.5 years.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I'm hoping I can get it for 6.5 years too. As far as I can tell, it's the BEST deal available for iPad. At $10 per 5 months, that would get continuous 5G cellular for a whopping $160 over those 6.5 years.
I almost never use up all 5 GB before the time expires but I love having almost guaranteed connectivity (at least where I live and spend time.) I'm definitely using more with my iPad mini though compared to what I ever used with the iPad Pro. I'm at day 50 on this iteration and I've used 2.9 GB already. But even if I only get 3-4 months, it is still incredibly cheap for the convenience.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Same here. I also use iPad mini as Phone too (with buds and voip app) and thus have no separate phone. For tablet + phone continuous 5G service for only up to $60/year, it seems ideal. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing and it's nice to have always-connected service without having the expense of new phone every 2 or 3 years and phone-level pricing of cell service.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012

Copy says it is set up as "one time offer" so it seems logical that "one time" won't support renewing while it is active. However, after it expires, it is no longer an active plan, so you are not technically renewing it... you are buying a new plan... which just happens to be that same plan again. That worked fine for me a few days ago and I'm on a fresh 5 months now. I let it fully expire, slept on it, then purchased anew the next day. No problems.
Thanks. That's how it's worked in the past, but the issue I'm having this time is I can't even log into their site to see my account. Apple Robert had the same issue, so I'm guessing it's something on T Mo's end & will be resolved soon (hopefully).

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I'm hoping I can get it for 6.5 years too. As far as I can tell, it's the BEST deal available for iPad. At $10 per 5 months, that would get continuous 5G cellular for a whopping $160 over those 6.5 years.
Deftinely the best deal currently available (in the US at least). I've been using it for a long time too. The only better deal is the no longer available (but still active if you had it in the past) completely free 200 MB a month for the life of the device. I still have that active on my iPad mini 4, and that was an even better deal for me. But totally agree, ~$20/year for an always on connection for a casual user is ideal. I doubt that I even use 1 GB in the 5 months, but it's so convenient for those times when you do need it, that it's a no-brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.