Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
I bought a new 27" ASUS PB278QR as an extra monitor for my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) with Thunderbolt.

I had a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter but when I use that, I only get 1920x1080 resolution and not the expected 2560x1440. I have now learned that this is due to the adapter only being Single Link DVI. Fair enough!

I then bought an HDMI to Mini Display Port cable at Apple. That worked even worse. I'm not sure exactly what the resolution was. But the picture looked terrible. So I returned that cable.

Then I bought a Mini-DisplayPort adapter cable. This did not work at all. When I plug it in, the monitor goes black, then occasionally shows a picture for half a second, then goes black again. There is also some nasty noise from the speakers.

I called the store and they will send me another cable of the same type. I have yet to receive it. But I must say that I am doubtful. Does anybody have experience with connecting a 2560x1440 non-Tunderbolt monitor to a Thunderbolt Mac? What cable did you use?

Last edited:

hjalte

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Glad you got it too work :)

I am thinking of buying the same monitor as an extra monitor for my 27 inch imac.

Do you still have this setup and if so, could you show a picture?
I would really love to see how this setup looks :)

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
Glad you got it too work :)

I am thinking of buying the same monitor as an extra monitor for my 27 inch imac.

Do you still have this setup and if so, could you show a picture?
I would really love to see how this setup looks :)

I can't take a picture currently. My room is a mess, sorry. :p You can adjust the height of the monitor so it lines up horizontally with the iMac. But the monitor is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the iMac.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have to adjust brightness manually. This is done through a quite poorly designed onscreen menu by pressing on buttons that are hard to find under the monitor. It's not a huge issue since I generally only do this twice a day (turning brightness up in the morning and down in the evening).

Overall I am satisfied with it so far. Even though I do wonder if a cheaper monitor wouldn't have met my needs just as well.

hjalte

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
I can't take a picture currently. My room is a mess, sorry. :p You can adjust the height of the monitor so it lines up horizontally with the iMac. But the monitor is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the iMac.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have to adjust brightness manually. This is done through a quite poorly designed onscreen menu by pressing on buttons that are hard to find under the monitor. It's not a huge issue since I generally only do this twice a day (turning brightness up in the morning and down in the evening).

Overall I am satisfied with it so far. Even though I do wonder if a cheaper monitor wouldn't have met my needs just as well.

Thanks for the headsup on the brightness.
I wasn't aware of that.

I am using f.lux a lot. That changes the colors during the day, so you don't blue light at night.

Do you think that would still work?

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
Thanks for the headsup on the brightness.
I wasn't aware of that.

I am using f.lux a lot. That changes the colors during the day, so you don't blue light at night.

Do you think that would still work?

I doubt that would work. There is no way to programmatically change the brightness of the monitor. This can only be done manually as far as I know.

However, I think you'll have that issue with pretty much every other 3rd party monitor you buy. The iMac is quite unique in the ability to automatically control brightness. If you need that feature, you probably have to buy the Apple Cinema Display.

hjalte

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
It's actually not the brightness it adjusts. It's the colors.
So the screen gets more red at night, making you sleepy :)

Check it out: https://justgetflux.com/

I doubt that would work. There is no way to programmatically change the brightness of the monitor. This can only be done manually as far as I know.

However, I think you'll have that issue with pretty much every other 3rd party monitor you buy. The iMac is quite unique in the ability to automatically control brightness. If you need that feature, you probably have to buy the Apple Cinema Display.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark
It's actually not the brightness it adjusts. It's the colors.
So the screen gets more red at night, making you sleepy :)

Check it out: https://justgetflux.com/

Oh okay. Well then maybe it would work. You can change the color profile in the display preferences for the external monitor. So if it uses something like that, then I guess it would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.